Chapter 18

The other side of the bed was empty when the sun peeked through the curtains. I reached out and touched Adrian's pillow. My heart sank at the cool fabric. He'd been gone for quite a while, if he'd even come to bed at all. If it was a one-time occurrence, I'd let it pass. But this was day four already and didn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

I slowly propped myself up on one elbow. "Adrian?"

I nearly cried at the silent room. There was no sound coming from the bathroom, so I was truly alone. He'd left without a word or a note. The truth struck somewhere deep in my being, causing a fresh wave of tears to spill down my cheeks. Every little thing made me cry nowadays! It was truly getting ridiculous.

I dragged myself out of the bed and to the closet. Even if Adrian wasn't in the house, I could probably do something on my own to try to track down my stalker. There was plenty of intel between all of the packs, so surely someone would know if there was a rogue or traitor in their midst. All it would take is a few phone calls.

"Alpha Sierra?"

I scrambled into my jeans and a button-up shirt before running to answer the knock on the door. Jaxon leaned against the doorframe, arms lightly crossed in a non-threatening way.

"Jaxon," I sighed, slouching against the opposite side of the doorframe. "I assume you're here because Adrian isn't."

"Sorry, Sierra. I tried to talk to him this morning, but he was determined to go out again." He offered a touch of a smile and jerked his head down the hallway. "Breakfast?"

"Sure." There was no point in sitting around moping. I could probably accomplish a lot after a hearty breakfast, especially if Jaxon was willing to cook. And if Jaxon was hanging around with me, that would mean Ada wouldn't be too far away either. Double win, if I had to think positively about the situation.

Ada was already scurrying around the kitchen when Jaxon and I entered. She had several pans on the stove, each sizzling with something delicious. The coffee pot was gurgling away, and there was fresh juice in a pitcher on the table. From the looks of it, she'd have bacon and pancakes ready and plated in the near future.

"This looks fabulous, darling." Jaxon wrapped his arms around his mate's waist and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "You're going to spoil me."

I turned away as Ada giggled and flushed at his praise. Their adorable early puppy love reminded me too much of the tarnishing nature of my own relationship. As happy as I was for them, Adrian's recent absences created a bittersweet pain in my heart.

"What do you say to a girls' day, Sierra?"

I snapped back around as Ada said my name. "Uhm... maybe. I have a few phone calls to make this morning, but maybe this afternoon we could plan to do something."

Ada leaned towards Jaxon with a cute smile. "Give us a minute, darling?"

My mate's beta nodded and bowed his head towards me as he shuffled into the living room. Once it was just us girls, Ada motioned for me to join her at the stove. Together, we continued cooking breakfast before my best friend finally broke the silence.

"Jaxon told me about Adrian's hunt for your stalker. It sounds like he's going to great lengths to protect you."

I nodded, nibbling on my lip to hold back yet another wave of tears. Protection was one thing; abandonment was another. I wasn't ready to face the reality of what all of the silences and absences might actually mean.

Ada squeezed my shoulder in comfort. "He'll come to his senses soon, Sierra. I have every confidence that he'll be rushing back to your side by week's end. He adores you, and will no doubt feel the pain of separation."

"It hurts," I confessed. "Not knowing is almost worse than knowing a rejection is coming." I choked on any additional thoughts.

"Rejection?" Ada turned off the burners and gave me her full attention. "Sierra, don't even think that! Adrian lives for you. He'd never even consider rejecting you. He's just so focused on protecting you that he doesn't see how much pain he's causing the both of you."

"I hope you're right."

We both looked up as the back door opened. My heart and stomach fluttered as Adrian trudged into the living room. Not to mention that my wolf was howling up a storm from the sight and smell of him. Every part of me just wanted him to hold me.

Adrian and Jaxon talked in low voices for several minutes, neither one even glancing my way. I considered listening in with my alpha level hearing, but it seemed a violation of privacy. I forced myself to focus on not burning the bacon and wait for my mate to come to me...if he was going to do so.

I quivered when Adrian wrapped his arms around my waist and held tight for a minute. As it was the most physical contact we'd had in nearly a week, I clung to him for as long as he'd let me. My stomach fluttered again as we shared a far too brief kiss.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," I croaked, fearing what might come next.

"I'm going to be gone the next few days, Sia. There's something I need to take care of, but it will take a few days. Can you manage without me?"

My wolf and I both withdrew a bit, almost shoved back by the question. Could I manage without him? He asked me that now after nearly abandoning for the last four days? Seriously?

"Do I have a choice?" The squeak of a question did not accurately express my inner pain, but I couldn't control it now.

"You're the best, Sia." He planted a rather chaste kiss on my mouth before rushing upstairs to pack, most likely. I sagged against the counter and whimpered at my loss.

Jaxon joined Ada and I in the kitchen. "He'll come around, Sierra. As soon as he sorts this out, he'll be by your side again."