Chapter 19

I bit my lip and slowly dialed Ada's number. I told myself that it wouldn't come to this, but apparently it had. I couldn't ask my mate for distraction or sympathy because he was the one causing the problem.

She picked up after the second ring. "Hey, girlfriend. What's up? You know that you could just come see me, right? I live, like, at the other side of the house."

"I know," I mumbled. "I didn't want to leave my room and risk running into...him."

There was a long pause before Ada answered that. "Are you and Adrian fighting? Sierra, that man worships the air you breathe. I can't imagine that he'd fight with you about anything."

I choked back the tears in my throat. "I thought so too. But he hasn't been home very much in the last week and he barely speaks to me when he is. Ada, I think we're past the honeymoon phase and he's done with me."

"No! I refuse to believe that. He hasn't been around because he's got the pack searching for whoever sent you those wolf teeth and other notes. He's trying to protect you, Sierra. Trust me, he's over the moon for you and isn't going away."

"Maybe," I whispered, "but I can't stay locked away for much longer. Can we go somewhere? Maybe one of our old hangouts?"

"It's karaoke night at the steak house." I could hear the grin in her voice. "I think we should doll up and go relive some memories. What do you say?"

I glanced at the clock and smiled. "I'll warm up my vocal chords."

#

Adrian nearly burst a blood vessel when Jaxon told him that Ada had left a note saying she and Sierra had gone out. Of all nights to leave the pack house, this was not it! Sierra had no idea what was going on out there, and she could walk right into a trap without having a clue. Of course, part of that equation was his fault. He'd been so preoccupied with keeping her safe that he'd kept her in the dark. He'd kept her at arm's length too, and his wolf wouldn't leave him alone for it.

After the quickest shower and a fresh change of clothes, he and Jaxon jumped into one of the pack Jeeps to follow after their girls. Lucky for them, Ada had happily shared where they were going. Knowing her, she might as well have written 'Please follow us and join us for dinner.'

The local steakhouse was a popular hangout for werewolves under 30. Sierra had mentioned it once in passing while reminiscing. Adrian was now glad that he'd tucked that nugget of her past into his memory. At least it made sense why they'd come here.

He and Jaxon calmly entered the restaurant, both searching the crowded the room for two feisty-looking girls. They spotted Ada almost right away, seated on a high stool at a bar table directly in front of the stage. Adrian cringed when he saw the 'Karaoke Night' banner hanging from the ceiling. Why would they come today of all days?

Jaxon made a beeline for his mate, leaving Adrian to trail in his wake. The empty seat next to Ada worried him. Surely Sierra hadn't bolted already...

"Baby, you gave me a scare!" Jaxon gently scolded when they reached her.

She brightened at their arrival and planted a kiss on his cheek. "I left a note! I didn't just up and vanish. Now your mate..." She waved a fork at Adrian. "She wanted to up and vanish for the night, but I wouldn't let her."

Adrian slid onto another high stool and glanced around the room. "Where is she, Ada?"

That blunt question earned him an eyeroll. "She'll be back soon. In fact, she should be..." Ada turned toward the stage. "There she is!"