16

Chapter 16: Bursting Circus

"I'm sorry we couldn't properly talk, Jungkook. We have to meet another day," Taehyung's mom says with a small, almost shy smile towards his boyfriend as the car waits to take them back to their home. Jungkook smiles politely back at her but Taehyung sees right through it.

"Of course, that'd be great," he replies and then shakes hands with Taehyung's dad and kisses his mother on the cheek. Taehyung watches as his dad gives Jungkook a satisfied little nod and his mom seems absolutely charmed by the younger, probably as impressed by both his looks and the way he gave his awful father a piece of his mind, at the same time. Namjoon and Jin stay out of their car after saying goodbye to Taehyung's parents as well, Seokjin sending him a sad smile the moment they walk towards them.

"Well...that was..." he says, hands clasped tightly with Namjoon's.

"Yeah," his boss says with a grimace before his eyes turn back to Jungkook. He squeezes his shoulder, gaze filled with worry. "Are you gonna be okay?" he asks in a low voice though the night is quiet and they're all close enough to hear. The younger nods his head, tells him not to worry about it and despite Namjoon nodding back, they all know he's going to worry anyway so Taehyung says,

"It's fine, I'll take care of him." He punctuates his words by leaning and brushing his lips over Jungkook's cheek softly, the gesture tender. The younger doesn't react but a small, almost relieved sigh leaves his lips. Namjoon looks grateful when he gets back inside his car with Jin, who promises to see him tomorrow at the apartment.

"Shall we?" Taehyung asks Jungkook once they're the only ones left in the garden. He just wants to leave this place and hopefully never come back. Jungkook nods, eyes wandering beyond him, and with that they leave.

The way back to Jungkook's apartment is silent. Taehyung glances at him out of the corner of his eye, wondering if he should say something, anything at all to make things better but what could he say? 'Hey your parents are jerks, no biggie'? Yeah, no. So he decides to remain in silence, too, though his heart aches to comfort him.

It doesn't take long before they park outside his building and make their way to the elevator. The silence is thick by then and Taehyung wonders if he should reach out and intertwine their fingers together, but again, he thinks Jungkook would do it if he wanted to and he probably just wants space right now. Oh, maybe he shouldn't have assumed Jungkook wanted him to stay the night after all. He bites his lip the moment the metal doors slide open and they walk through the familiar hallway back to Jungkook's penthouse. The younger slides his magnetic card in until the green light brightens up and the door unlocks, eyes lost as he opens it for them to walk in. Once inside, Taehyung swallows and thinks of the words he could say.

He should leave, maybe, right?

He watches as the younger sits down on the sofa and rests his head against the back, eyes closed. Taehyung realizes he's still standing by the door, an awkward mess. God, why is he so useless? Why can't he say anything that could make the other feel better?

"Um, I can leave if you---" he begins, hands playing with the hem of his shirt pathetically.

Jungkook opens his eyes at that, staring at him in shock, his pretty doe eyes wide and bright as he looks at him. "What?"

Taehyung clears his throat, feels an unscratchable itch in some spot around his throat. "I mean---if you want to be alone, I get that, I...can leave," he replies, struggling to meet the other's eyes.

His boyfriend shakes his head, extends a tentative hand towards him. "Stay," he says. He must see something in Taehyung's gaze though, some reluctance, because he adds in a softer voice, "Please?"