The Treaty of Paris of 1783

The Battle of Yorktown happened in October 1781, was the last important battle of the American Revolutionary War. British forces were eliminated by the combined American and French forces, following this loss, Britain begin offensive campaigns in North America. The decision was started by the widening of the war to including France, Spain and the Dutch Republic. When fall came to winter the British colonies in the Caribbean had fallen to enemy forces and so did the island of Minorca, which was regained by Spain. British Prime Minister Lord North's government fell in late March 1782 and was replaced by Lord Rockingham. The Treaty of Paris began to be created, Richard Oswald was sent to meet with the Americans, while Thomas Grenville was dispatched to begin talks with the French. Negotiations proceeded slowly, Rockingham died in July 1782 before the treaty was complete Lord Shelburne then became head of the British government, the Treaty was later finished. The terms were simple.

Terms of Treaty

Great Britain recognized the 13 Colonies to be free, sovereign and independent states.

The borders of the United States would be those of 1763, extending west to the Mississippi.

The United States would receive fishing rights on the Grand Banks and Gulf of St. Lawrence.

All contracted debts were to be paid to creditors on each side.

Colonial Loyalists who had supported the British during the war would receive payment for property seized from them.

The United States would prevent a property from being taken from Loyalists in the future.

All prisoners of war were to be released.

Both the United States and Great Britain were to have perpetual access to the Mississippi River.

Territory captured by the United States after the treaty was written was to be returned.

Formal approval of the treaty was to occur within six months of signing.