Scientists Study Anti-aging Drugs for Dogs

In the article “Scientists Study Anti-aging Drugs for Dogs” by Newsela it discusses extending animals lifespan.  It’s an extremely sad reality, for pet owners that our beloved companions never live as long as we would wish. However, a man named Promislow and his colleagues believe that it may be possible to make our companions live longer. Scientist using the latest in anti-aging research, plan to study a chemical that extends the life spans of mice, fruit flies, and worms. They have high hopes that this will also lengthen dog's lives. Experts from all over the country discuss the chemical rapamycin. They were talking about how to test its effects in dogs. Rapamycin is used with other medications in organ-transplant patients. It helps to prevent the body from rejecting their new kidneys and other transplanted organs. The drug is also very promising for anti-aging. 50 studies have shown that this particular drug can delay some diseases and restore vigor to elderly animals. Rapamycin works by shutting off a certain protein that promotes cell growth. It can also extend average life spans 9 to 40 %. However, no one knows if this drug can work on humans. This drug could help us by making our beloved canine friend's life a long and happy life.