Chapt. 6: 2 Years Later

When people imply that 'time flies' are essentially wizards. Time is just a measurement between minutes, days, years etc. But what most people don't realise when the phrase 'time flies' is used necessarily of that time has quickened and how fast that time goes until you realise you wasted it.

Well, I guess time really does fly.

Our usual spot was calling out our names as we entered the restaurant. For the very first time I was experiencing walking into the restaurant as an 18 year old. Or an adult to be precise.
I flung myself nearest to the window to feel the suns rays on my face. I was followed by Fern sat next to me. Opposite from us was the new kid. He was from England and has been staying with his aunt and uncle for the summer but decided to stay here permanently as he was 18 as well.
He was a fair-skinned man which made his dark, fawn hair stand out. His hair was always in a pompadour style. The freckles complimented his skin and around his emerald eyes with a spark of light blue. He was oddly in shape despite managing to eat three cheeseburgers and fries in one sitting, he was one of those kids who can eat anything they desired and never put on the weight. His face was a chiselled sculpture which gave him a younger-boyish look.
His personality was light-hearted and meaningful. He was a trustworthy man as well as intelligent. Now and then his sarcasm got out of hand but was wilded in quickly. His character was like the perfect male best friend out of movies you'd see on the television, the 'nice jock'.

Amanda came over to our table so we could order our food and drinks. Fern and I got our strawberry milkshakes with fries and Justin ordered his usual banana split blended into a smoothie with a double burger and fries.
"You're the big one eight now. What do you plan on doing?" Justin asked with a small smile.
"There's not a lot I can do, I mean, I never went to school, I have no degrees or anything academic that could build me a life outside Hollow Bay." I sighed. I've thought of this many times before. How can a wolf survive in the human world without actually living a normal human life, despite the best two years that I've ever lived.
"Don't be harsh on yourself. You don't need that much academics to travel the world. To see everything." Fern spoke.
The waiter returned with our food and drinks.
I could see Fern itching to get something off her chest.
"Alright, you've been acting different lately. Might as well tell us why." I saw Ferns leg stop shaking as she spoke.
"My cousin has asked me to join her pack, now I'm of age to join a pack she told me it's for the best if I leave Hollow Bay to start a family etc." I could feel Fern tensing as her eyes glazed over. She looked down at her drink nervously playing with the straw.

"Well that's... news." I kicked Justin at his comment.

"Fern, if this means everything to you, then take the opportunity while it's there. It's up to you what you decide. We can still be friends either way." I placed one hand on her back and gave her a squeeze and sipped on my milkshake.

"It's in Canada." She spoke softly. Enough to make me spit out my drink in shock.
I had no words. Now that we're growing up, were offered places in packs, their mainly family relations. We decide to accept or reject the offer. However, rejecting an offer that could change your life means you'll remain, packless and a rouge.
An outcast so to speak.

"We can still meet up. I'll save up to meet you at the train station or wherever. I don't want you missing an opportunity like this Fern, although it kills me to say that because I'm losing such a close friend, a family member." I wrapped both my arms around her as she did mine.

"How long do you have to decide?"
"6 months. I don't want to leave you guys." Fern began her waterworks as I was drenched in her tears on my shoulder. I didn't mind though, it was refreshing to see Fern with real emotions.

"Think of it like this, 6 months to have the best time of your life." We all chuckled and dug into our food.

It was around 8:30pm where I found myself indulged in my thoughts. Part of me didn't want Fern to go but on the other hand, it's the greatest opportunity she'll get in her life.
It's 2 years later since the Mills family took me in. They treat me like family.
Alexander offered me a place to work at his restaurant and I accepted, so now I'm full time executive at Mills.