Survival

Sean stood there in the woods with her bow having an arrow strung back and primed for release. Aligned with a shot at a deer, that was merely meters away. The deer erected its head up and looked toward her, as if realizing its fate. She steadied her breath, and readied to discharge the string. When a sudden strange high-pitched noise filled her ears. 

Sean's face grew worried as she recognized the noise, remembering it from the time of the initial assault. Suddenly she heard the crackling of branches, and what sounded like an oil drilling rig close by. 

The deer, surprised by the commotion, took off, hopping past any obstruction. Sean could feel an abrupt thump within her chest, and her pulse was pacing. She looked around for danger and said out loud to herself. "The sound sounds to be far. But it also seems to be getting closer." 

The sound of trees falling nearby, startled her. She shot her gaze to where tye noise came from and said. "That sounds like a building down in the city."

In reaction she stood up and took off in a dash back to the city. Pushing her way past the thicket and trees.

As she neared the boundaries of the town, she could see smoke stacks that swelled in the air from several blocks away. In a panic, she rushed to a nearby building, and searched for any of her friends. 

"Hopefully everyone is ok" she questioned herself with a whisper. 

She approached the door and barged in, shouting out for anyone who could hear. "Where is everybody? Is everyone ok?" 

Before she knew it. Bryan scooped het up and dragged her behind a knocked over table and murmured. "Shh shut up."

Sean leaned close to him and whispered back. "What the hell is going on?"

With a fear present in his tone, Bryan retorted, "Something just smashed into the building down the street, and destroyed it. There's something else with it. I don't know what's going on though."

With another loud explosion, they listened to  the echo of another construction collapsing. Accompanying the explosion was a distinct high-pitched noise. The tone suggested to creep up to their hideaway. 

"I think whatever it is. It's outside of the door" Sean whispered in fear.

The door to the building was suddenly ripped off. They both glanced over, seeing nothing but dust and debris that ascended from the new opening. A high-pitched noise emanated from within the smoke. They both noticed a shadow of a humanoid like thing within the haze. The trail was too thick to distinguish what it was clearly, but the contour was obvious.