Chapter 17: The important man

John was a free man and tried to enjoy it as best he could. He went out and had beers with the friends at the food court. He volunteered to help new families move in and acclimate to living in this unfamiliar environment.

People persistently thanked him for helping them, using the hero word often. He spent as much time with Sam as he could. Occasionally they would sneak off to the bathroom, or ask the guards to allow them to use the prison cells to go do the naughty.

One Tuesday a few survivors from a rescue operation came in, blood soaked their clothing. The soldier's armor covered with even more blood. One of soldiers was being carried in on a stretcher, with his arm nearly separated from his torso, gore poured out onto the floor from the wound. The white of his bone shown through all the red. MPs were clearing the hall of the citizens, to allow room as they moved the wounded down to the infirmary. Chattering began from the civilians all around.

“Fuck, another mission barely ending in an accomplishment.” Shouted one of the people from behind John in the lodge.

John while still looking at the soldiers going by, answered back.

“At least it was a success, most of these ops have been complete disasters.”

He turned around, looked at the fellow and continued.

“They're lucky to have any survivors come back at all.”

The guy most likely in his mid-thirties, shook his head with disappointment, knowing the bitter fact was true.

John walked over to his bunk and as he went to sit down with Sam, the General barged in.

“John. We need your help.”

Sam's face turned pale as her mouth dropped to the floor, and her eyes grew cold from fear, the dread of losing him again. He stood there, observing her pain that had shown in her suffering and shouted back to the general, closing his eyelids simultaneously.

“I'm not a soldier anymore. Remember!”

He paused there with his eyes shut, hoping that he would hear nothing else on the matter.

“It's urgent” the general answered.

John leaned in, planted a juicy kiss on Sam's lips, noticed her the warmth of her sorrow, and he shifted around and began to walk to the general, stating to him.

“Let's go discuss this then.” The general spun around and exited the chamber behind him.

Sean, Greag, John and the high command all stood in a room, computers and personnel were positioned in rows. They each remained there surrounding a giant touch screen that projected light to show a three-dimensional image. The general spoke as he was pointing at images that were highlighted in the middle of the air.

“Okay this area right here is ground zero. It seems they are holding everything strongest here. Problem is its the only way through to get to the base.”

Greag interrupted the general and began to point to another area on the map that looked like a road.

“Well actually. Right here is an opening. We could use this to sneak by the creatures. It's off the path, but it will get us there.”

The general glanced at the section suggested for a moment and then replied.

“Okay let's do it then. I'll give you an air.”

He was once again interrupted but by John.

“No aircraft! It would be easier and safer to move by car. Just give us some weapons, ammo, armor, and cars and well do the rest.”