Chapter 11

They arrived at the destination a little over an hour later. The other group already had showed up and been prepared. They all hopped out of their car and strolled over to the Lieutenant. As they approached closer to him, he began reading off the plan and forwarding intelligence to their wrist devises. Which they all noticed, resembled a large touch screen phone set inside a socket. On it, they could see it displaying the technical information on building schematics, topography of the surrounding land, and the last known location of the survivors.

John ordered his squad over, as the Lieutenant stiff hand pointed, signaling for them to go down the right corridor. John and his group walked over to the passage, scanned around and took off on their hike down the set route. They studied the terrain with their rifles forward, prepared for dangers. They were studying for any signals of movement. All around them they heard the sounds of crackling fires, from the nearby cars and buildings, and the tones of their boots stomping down onto the concrete and asphalt streets and sidewalks.

“Hold for a second” Greag shouted out loud.

Everyone re actively stopped and glanced at him in attention.

“What? Why are we holding?” Sean asked with confusion.

Greag was scouting around, pointing his gun in front of him as he was searching for something. Seconds later Greag replied.

“I heard something. Almost like a buzzing noise.”

Everybody started to gaze around and observe for anything, but they could only hear the popping of the fires, and the hissing from the wind. The only thing they saw was the debris and dust that drifted through the air.

Each of them shrugged their shoulders and proceeded down the road. They could see half demolished buildings on either side of them, with glass breaking off in fragments from the windows of dilapidated buildings. Sizable portions of rubble would drop from the tops of the old skyscrapers.

Greag sped up ahead of everybody and try to take the advantage, when a large chunk of the construction next to him fell, crashing into the pavement beside him, knocking him over on his ass.

John in reaction ran over to him, intending to offer him a supporting hand. As he was helping hoist him up, they heard a rustling from the building across from the alley. Sean and Bryan retort and started to point their weapons toward the gap. Sean looked over at John for an order confirmation. John's views went from the architecture to Sean and signaled for them to move in and check the vicinity. Bryan advanced and entered through first, while aiming throughout the room. Sean followed in afterword, his eyes scanned his surroundings. John and Greag stepped in once Bryan gave the all clear.

“Take five you guys,” John directed.

With sighs, they all had a seat and issued to unwind. Bryan removed his helmet, as he was traipsing around the room. Inspecting the trinkets were throughout the area. In the center was a broken table. The stink of musk and burned carpet was permeating the air. John detected a dusty old grand piano in the back end. He stepped over to it to see more detail. It was a little worn out, with its faded red mahogany wood staining. With scratches across the top and covered in debris and dust. He went closer to it and started tapping on a key. The beautiful tone of a C note played. He tapped on the key a few more times, took a seat and began to play. He performed as if he had been playing for years. The delicate tones and chords melded together to show a musical symphony masterpiece.

His friends listened in astonishment and attended to him. Relishing the melody while they each closed their eyes in tranquility.

John concluded the song. Sean looked over at him and declared. “That was beautiful. I forgot how lovely music was. I never knew you could play?”