Chapter 14

Just as the general had told them. It gave them everything they wanted for this mission. Sean and Greag went hog wild, especially after they were allotted the opportunity to scrimmage inside the secret weapons department. John went a more subtle way. Greag suggested to John.

“John you should get a machete again, and it seems to fit you well.”

John looked at him, smiled followed with a slight chuckle. He took his advice and grabbed a blade. Knowing that he was correct.

Everyone loaded up into the vehicles and got prepared to go. The general walked over to the guys and asked.

“So, you only want to stick with your normal squad I see. Well, I think you know what you're doing. Do you plan on using the gunships or needing any air support?"

John, while he was still putting on his armored shoulder pads, glanced at the general and said.

“I'm going by car, but I would like to have high altitude bombers in the air for support, and can I request an armored tank sitting in the rear for ground support?”

The general looked at him with amazement and replied.

“Whatever you need, we will supply it. They limit us on the man power, but you aren't asking for much, and you seem to know what you're doing.”

The general turned and walked away.

“Load up you guys.”

John ordered out loud to everybody, as he was putting his helmet on, and stepping into the drivers seat of the first car. He grabbed the key, twisted it and cranked the motor over until it started, hearing nothing but the slight rumble from the engine as it purred, and the whistling turbo like sound. They all put their automobiles into drive and lined up in front of the large metal gate. Everyone paused there and waited for the operator to announce the ok. Once the door swung open, they each punched the gas in a race. Smoke was fluttering from the tires, as they were burning out on the concrete floors.

The two cars went racing through the door, down the long corridor and out on the road. Everybody watched as the bunker inside the mountain, disappeared behind them. John radioed to everybody.

"Keep on me. We're doing this fast and strong. It seems to work best. Now keep your fucking eyes on those radars."

They all reached to the control board on their armrest and loaded the coordinates they had received from command to the GPS on the car and drove off into the sun.

***

John began to question after been driving for a few hours.

“We should be arriving soon.”

John radioed to Greag, We're only a few minutes away according to this?

They arrived shortly after him saying that, to a large dilapidated town, with nothing but dust blowing through. They saw buildings half demolished and deteriorated apart. Old rusty cars that were scattered throughout the streets and backyards, some which were tipped over and smashed.

“Damn this city looks like they hit it hard.” Sean uttered over the radio.

John replied over the transmission, “Yeah I see it looks like they must've been one of the first cities to have been attacked. I don't even see any dead bodies or skeleton remains anymore.”

“Hey watch your corners you guys, it's getting tight in here.” Greag announced over the radio, his voice filled with unease. “We will drive in as close as we can. Then we must continue by foot. Once we get to the school, we'll secure it and wait for the tank to arrive. We have high altitude bombers above waiting for orders.” John radioed commands to Sean and Greag.