Chapter 10

Shortly speeding away from that horrific event, another warning popped up on everybody's visors and windshields.

Sean started whimpering, "Fuck not more. Fuck oh shit."

John barked back to him. "Shut up. We got this. Just be ready,".

Dan announced over the radio, "Be ready, here comes more. They're coming from behind, off from the left of us."

John instinctual reacted and twisted his wheel to drive to a hard left. Everyone confused, began to clamor at him. "What are you doing?"

John replied with an aggravation in his expression, "Just be prepared. I will get them out in the open. Once they're out, shoot them in the head."

He was facing and driving towards the things by this time. Clouds of dust and dirt were being tossed around from the critters, as they created small hills while they passed underneath the ground.

As the creatures overshot by their car, John slammed on his brakes. The vehicle hard slid until coming to a halt. He hopped out of the automobile and lingered until they came in close. All of his friends hurried to hop out, and set to focus their weapons barrels down to the approaching creatures, from behind the cover of the car doors. John stood there in front, maintaining his rifle up, expecting the threat. His helmet was displaying the distance of the creatures to him. 100 meters, 76 meters 36 meters. As soon as the creatures were about 25 meters away from him, they surged out from the ground. Landing back onto the surface hard. The ground trembled from the tremendous force.

Four creatures stood there in front of them. Each one's eye trained onto John as they snarled and frothed. One unexpectedly charged in at John. Everybody startled, started to fire at it. Its bluish blood spewed out from the things wounds. With several rounds put into it, it collapsed down into the dirt within only feet of John's feet. John remained there, unaffected, and without a flinch.

Two more of the creatures began to charge in at them. Everyone reacted and pulled the triggers of their firearms, the projectiles flung out at them. One tumbled down dead, while the other was still committing in. John hopped out of the line of the creature, as it skidded across the ground. John hurried and readjusted himself and commenced to hoot at it, attempting to draw its attention.

"I'm over here you big fucking pussy. Get over here and fight someone your own size."

It changed his way and started to hurtle toward him. His friends sought to stop it by lobbing bullets at its back, but the rounds only deflected off from the tough armor, whizzing back in all directions from ricocheting. John grabbed a hold of his standard issue machete and awaited there as it approached close to him.

Once it was convenient enough to him, as if he has been fighting and doing it all his life. He jumped up to the side of the creature. He clutched onto its plates and plunged the blade into the back of the neck of the animal. It collapsed to the ground instantly, sending John to hurtle. John pushed himself up, using his arms as braces and looked to regard everybody as they all stared at him with bewilderment. Each of them stuck trying to figure out how he accomplished this triumph.

The final creature stood there glaring at John. It let out a loud roar and started to growl. John overheard and turned to it. He reached in and grabbed a grenade from his pouch, pulled the pin and tossed it at the creature. The grenade struck the creature in the face and landed onto the earth below its body. John ordered for everybody to open fire as the impact stumbled it. They sent the slugs down course, whistling as they passed by John. The Roller attempted to move forward, but it was too late for it. With its fate sealed, the grenade went off. Metal and its gory remains hurled from the animal in all angles.

Within seconds the Lieutenant came back onto the wireless, after he recognized that they separated off from the formation.

"What the fuck is going on, is everything ok?"

John returned, "We're ok. We were just finishing off some creatures. Rendezvous in 10."

He trudged over the scarred terrain back to the car, crawled back into the driver's seat, awaited for everybody else to hop in, and drove off. As they were in pursuit to get back in the formation,

Bryan looked at John, with shock and roared. "Holy fuck that was awesome. We had no idea what you were planning, but damn that was awesome."

John shot out a smile to him and stared forward. The trip was mute the rest of the duration.