Chapter 15

John rallied up the soldiers and counted that he had eight officers to work with. He began to utter out orders to them.

“Okay. So, we need at least four of you guys to volunteer and help us. We are going to attempt to get radio's back up, to get an aircraft in. But we can't do it alone. I know this is the only thing saving us from detection, but it'll only last so long. The rest of the soldiers will stay in defensive positions. We can supply weapons and ammo.”

He looked at everyone to see who all would volunteer, and to his surprise, four of the people stepped forward, as if they had full trust in him. John nodded in acceptance to them and continued.

“Ok. Thank you guys, I am honored for this. I do not guarantee survival, but I will do everything I can to try.”

***

As the soldiers were being suited and loaded up with weapons, Sean looked over to John and muttered to him.

“You know once out there, things are going to get fucked. Hopefully, these soldiers are of any fucking help.”

John glared back at him, with a blackened expression and replied.

“I know, I agree. Hopefully these guys have some tricks under their sleeves, we're going to need it.”

Once everybody was loaded up, they all exited through the glass doorways. Before leaving the building, Sean was shouting back to everybody to get back into hiding until they returned. The radars inside their helmets quit being deranged, on their HUD's, the instant they stepped through the threshold. John transmitted back to the officer that stayed behind.

“Okay. We're on our way. Where the fuck is this device?”

The captain advised back.

“Look to the west side. It's the large tower in the center of the city, atop the large glass skyscraper. Get there and shut it off. Try not to use even your short-wave radios back to us as best as possible, for the creatures might pick up on them and use it to find our location.”

John was rushing around the tipped cars, benches, and the other obstacles that were in the line and radioed back.

“Acknowledged, we'll radio when we're close to being back, I'm out.”

They dashed through all the obstructions throughout the streets. Newspapers and dust were being blown across the pavement and yards.

Suddenly things became difficult for them, as they ran into a pile of rubble that was blocking the path to continue on forward. They scouted around to see if there was another way to the tower, but to no avail. They all realized that they had to get through. Sean hollered to John.

“John instead of doing the obvious of crawling over. We could just blow this shit out of our way. A few grenades or even a thing of C4 would do the job.”

John looked over to him and then shot his attention back at the rubble. While contemplating Sean's idea. He concluded and yelled back to him.

“Ok C4 this bitch then. Sean you're up.”

Sean ran over to the debris, placed a stick of C4 that he pulled out from a pouch located underneath his armor plates on his thigh, wired up a wireless detonator and sprinted back. Everyone took cover behind some tipped and rolled over cars that were around. They detonated the charge, sending chunks of rocks in all directions, and smoke rose from the blast site. They peered over from their covers and seen that the explosion had worked.

“Move out, it's not much further.” John ordered to everybody.

Everyone crawled aside from behind their cover, and followed behind John up ahead, and jostled over the rubble of rock.