basically.

warning: this chapter will contain drugs, strong language, and alcohol. read with caution.

+ + + + +

Friday night was boisterous and anxiety ridden as I pushed myself through the party. Kim was somewhere in the kitchen finding us drinks, and Chelsea already had her sights set on another girl. My hands were sweaty until I saw that guy who had harassed me in class for xans. I made a bee-line towards him, tapping his shoulder, just needing to ask a question.

He turned and raised a light eyebrow at me, "What?"

I swallowed, thickly, "Uh, you ever get any xans?"

He chuckled, "Yeah, what about 'em?"

Tugging my hand through my loose curls, I forced out the words, "You think I could cop one?"

"Yeah, man. You got green, though?" he smirked, probably not expecting me to have any money.

"How much?" I questioned.

"Ten," he stated, sizing me up.

I pulled out a ten dollar bill and held it up for him. Arching my brow, I held out my left palm for the pill, and he rolled his eyes while dropping it into my hand. Smiling like the cheshire cat, I slipped the pill in my mouth, and swallowed it. Knowing it wouldn't hit me for at least another ten minutes, I decided to find Kim for my drink. I shrugged my way through the crowd, desperately looking for one of my friends, and sighed in relief when I saw Kim on the other side  of the room holding a cup. He was grinning widely, and kept his eyes trained on the person in front of him. I clenched my fist, god, I wish I could be that confident. Finally, I reached him and grabbed the cup out of his hand.

"Bro! Where were you?" he exclaimed.

"Just talkin' to a friend, dude," I laughed, hoping we'd leave at that.

"You? Talking to someone you don't know? Okay," he chuckled.

"Oh, fuck you!" I giggled. When I finally stopped laughing I saw someone standing by us and I immediately clammed up, not knowing who he was.
Kim took notice of my sudden change in mood and he glanced over at the tall boy with pink hair. He just grinned at me, and I gave him a skittish wave.

"Shit, Diego, this is Gus. Gus, this is Diego," Kim introduced. He was already slurring slightly from the drinks he'd made us. Gus eyed me up and down for a moment.

My anxiety was still rushing through me, but it felt more like a thrum, not the usual hammering in my veins. Relief felt great, and I felt like I could actually talk. I finally found my voice within my pondering, "What grade you in?"

Gus snorted, "I dropped out last year. School just fucking sucks."

"Fuckin' lucky! I wish!" I exclaimed. The loudness of my voice even surprised me, and Kimetrius' eyes widened.

"Dude, I ain't never seen you this lit," he grinned.

"Yeah, I'm just feelin' it tonight, bruv," I reassured him.

I opened my mouth, about to make a comment when I heard one of my favorite songs begin, and I rushed toward the speakers. Kim and Gus were hot on my trail when I stopped short. The song felt like it was almost sluggish, and I realized it was me. The xan was kicking in and I felt nothing, other than a cool rush of calm. Swaying to the song, I sang along with it. I felt hands on my shoulders, turning me around, and making me look at them.

Gus was in my face, staring me down, "What'd you take?"

I laughed, loudly, "Xans!"

He smirked, "You got anymore?"