slingshot.

A/N: i usually try to keep these for the end, but this needs to be addressed here. i wont be putting warnings above chapters anymore because this is going to be a mature book. there will be loads of drug abuse and more. this is my final warning. 💔

Monday came too quickly when I was walking to school and I saw Gus waiting for me. His smile was easy and smooth as he muttered a greeting, sliding a twenty in my hand. My expression must have been apparent because he just smirked, "Trust me, bro."

That was that as he slid into the crowd, almost as if the interaction never even happened between us. Furrowing my brow, I shoved the money in my pocket, and scurried off to my first class. Trace wasn't in class, yet. No surprise considering he barely made it to school. I held the twenty dollar bill tightly in my fist; that I was keeping hidden in my pocket. It felt like it was burning a fire into my palm and I wanted it out of my grasp. Apparently, my silent prayers were heard, Trace slinked into the room just moments before the bell. He fell into his seat and just blinked at me.

I cleared my throat, "H-Hey."

"What?" he snapped.

"I just wanted some, um, uh," my voice felt caught. I just had Gus' solemn face trapped in my head.

He shoved my desk, "Shut the fuck up. I got it. Same thing as last time."

His changes in mood left me feeling scared and tense. I gulped a breath down and faced the board. Anxiety coursed in my veins, my mind racing, and my heart pounding. A billion what if's floated through my head and I couldn't get them to stop.

What if he knows I know?

What if he's mad that I did this in class?

What if someone heard me?

What if he knows me and Gus are friends?

What if-

My thoughts came to a stop when I heard Miss Faulkner begin class and my anxiety still stayed. I managed to lessen it, but not by much. When the bell rang I leaped from my seat, racing out of class, and hoping I'd find Kimetrius. I hadn't seen him in what felt like years, and I needed to just at least say sorry for being weird.

"Saved by the bell?" I heard a familiar voice laugh.

I turned and saw Kim standing behind me, "Yeah, Trace was tweakin' or something."

He spluttered, "Ain't he always?" Kim stretched his arms high and I kept my jealousy from his physique at bay.

"Seems like it keeps getting worse, especially with me," I mumbled.

Kim shrugged, "Fuck 'em. Don't let it consume you."

I was taken aback by the words he just said, and I ran the words over and over in my head. It was such a simple sentence, but it could apply to almost anything. He glanced down at me and raised a brow, "What's good?"

"I just like what you said, man," I explained as we sat at our usual table with Chelsea.

"What'd the shit say?" she teased.

"That I didn't feel like talking to the bitch today," he replied coolly.

She snorted, "Whatever, K. I'm your favorite, and you know it."

I rolled my eyes at her, "No, that's me. We all know it."

Kim sighed, "Sorry, Chels. You already know."

She giggled behind her hand, "I already know, baby. I just like pickin' at y'all."

"Oh, fuck you," I laughed.