Chapter 2 - "You're not special."

The purr of the motorcycle's engine snagged looks as Jace pulled the bike into an open parking spot. Cars of every variation filled the high school lot. Students stepped out and streamed towards the front gates. As Haley climbed off the bike, she tossed the helmet to Jace.

"Thanks," she said, already walking away.

She joined the tide of kids. The school was a collection of two-story white stucco buildings scattered in a rough circle. Between them were concrete paths that cut through patches of grass. The California sun was hot despite the early morning.

Jace jogged up to her and tossed an arm over her shoulders. "Don't you want to be seen entering the school with me? We could cause a stir." He waved a hand in front of them. "Jace Cortez finds a new love interest."

"Not interested," she said, shrugging off his arm.

She doubted that anyone would believe they were in a relationship if you could even call what Jace had with girls a relationship. Next to him, her skin was pale and she didn't fit the type of girl he went for. Though not ugly, she was not overly pretty. She had an oval face that was easily passed over. To really see her someone would have to make an effort.

"You're prickly," Jace said, letting his arm be detached from her shoulder.

"And you're just a prick."

He laughed good-naturedly. "That's a fine way to say thank you for giving you a lift here."

Haley quickened her steps. "I said thanks."

"And then proceeded to call me a prick. I would say that negates your gratitude."

With an annoyed sigh, she turned on him. "Fine. I apologize. Next time I will not accept the offer of a lift when I know it entails you trying to add me to your string of girls."

Jace crossed his arms, studying her.

"First off, I don't have a string of girls. And second, are you always this moody, or am I special?"

Haley ignored the first statement, she wasn't blind after all.

"You're not special."

"No, but I didn't need you to tell me that. What has you in a look-at-me-and-die mood?"

Haley waved her hand about. "Who says this isn't my mood all the time?"

Jace shrugged. "I guess I wouldn't know. It's not like we talk."

"Are you saying that's my fault?"

"No, I'm merely stating a fact. A fact that over the past three years of living next door to each other we've had a grand total of fifteen conversations together."

"That's because though we might live next door to each other we don't live in the same world."

Hooking her fingers around her pack straps, Haley walked away. She had barely gone a few steps before Jace was at her side again. A group of younger girls passed in front of them, some sending Jace friendly smiles and waves. He returned the greetings with a nod and carefree grin.

"What makes you believe we don't live in the same world?" he asked, as they skirted the group. "As far as I can tell, we do."

"No, we don't. I'm...me and you're Jace Cortez. The dream of every girl. The friend to every guy. The star of the school. Girls. Sports. You're the ultimate player."

"It sounds like you have a preconceived notion of who I am."

"And it's one that has yet to be proven wrong." She spun on him again. "Why are we even having this conversation?"