Chapter 36 - "The kissing booth."

For the second time that day, Haley stood in front of her closet faced with indecision. The hours of work had been scrubbed away and she stood in an oversized shirt and shorts, smelling of peaches. A knock came and she spoke a vague 'enter'. Her mother poked her head around the door.

"Hey," she said, "I wanted to see how everything went this morning."

Haley brightened at the chance to think of something different than her lack of decision making and style skills. When her mother noticed the shift, she settled down on the edge of Haley's bed.  She wore a loose cotton shirt and a pair of old jeans. It was the most casual Haley had seen her in a while. It reminded her of what she had been like six months ago before life had taken a turn.  Of a time when she shared everything with her mother.

"It was a lot of work," Haley said, with a tired but pleased sigh. "But it looks great and all ready for tonight." She waved her hands towards the closet. "Now I'm just focusing on the life-shattering decisions."

Resting back, on one hand, her mother raised an eyebrow.

"Oh and whose life other than yours would this decision impact." Her lips began to curl with a secret. "The cute boy next door?"

Haley shook her head, scrunching up her face.

"Jace is just a friend."

"But there is someone else..."

The blush that bloomed on Haley's cheeks gave her away. Ducking her head, she leaned against the wall, her hands pinned behind her. A hesitant moment paused before Haley spoke.

"His name is Isaac."

Trying to contain her smile, her mother leaned forward, resting her chin in her hand. A strand of brown hair tumbled free of her messy bun and curled around her face.

"This doesn't happen to be Shirtless Isaac from the other day, is it?"

Again Haley's face betrayed her, a smile joining her blush.

"Anything happening there?" her mother asked.

Haley brushed her foot against the carpet, memories from the day and the night before rushing into her mind. Biting her bottom lip, she raised her head.

"He asked me to prom last night," she said.

"Go girl! That's what people say right?"

Haley laughed, nodding. Her mother smiled at her, the wrinkles in her face softening and it was like the strain of the previous months had never happened.

"I've missed your smile," her mother said. "I feel like I haven't seen it in a while."

Haley wanted to say the same thing, but the words wouldn't break past the wall in her mind. Saying it might bring their reality back and ruin this moment. As selfish as it was, she wanted to ignore the pain and stay in this happy bubble for a bit longer.

"Well, any boy that makes you smile again is good in my books," her mother said. "Now what are you going to wear."

Sighing, Haley swung back to her closet. "I don't know."

"How about while you think, I do your hair?"

"What would you do?"

Her mother shrugged. "Nothing too fancy, a simple up-do."

Before Haley could debate it, her mother slid across the bed and patted the spot beside her. Haley plopped down and her mother's strong fingers began to work their way through her hair. As she worked, Haley told her about the fair and Rachel's brilliant plan of designing to be a social media event.