Chapter 16 - "We're not dating."

Jace handed Haley the helmet, though his eyes told her that he was still trying to decipher what was wrong with her. Ignoring his unspoken questions, Haley jammed the helmet on and climbed onto the bike. Without a word, Jace took the spot in front of her and started the engine.

Haley barely noticed anything around her, her arms crossed and her face a tight scowl. It was, for this reason, it shocked her when Jace tugged on one wrist. Yanking back her arm, she focused on him, trying to figure out what he was doing.

"Safety, Haley Day," he said, with just a hint of amusement at the reminder.

Still holding firmly to her scowl, she released her arms and put them around his waist. Jace slid on his helmet and took off. Even as the distance grew between Haley and the school she felt every word clinging to her, echoing in her head.

Ty and Josie had not only been unfazed by Haley's comment but with cool indifference they had cut away at her. A pit expanded in her stomach, as over and over again their statements hit her in the gut.

Too caught up in her tangled thoughts, she didn't notice where Jace was driving. It wasn't until they stopped that she pulled herself free of her daze. When she looked up they weren't at her house. Instead, they were outside the Mexican food restaurant that she used to go to with her parents. Before she could form a sentence, Jace was climbing off the bike and walking to the door.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

He pulled off his helmet and ran a hand through his hair, giving it life again.

"I'm hungry. I'm getting a burrito." He waved his helmet at her. "You can sit out here until I'm done if you want."

Growling with annoyance as she already felt the incessant heat, Haley got off the motorcycle. Jace was grinning at her when she lifted the helmet off.

"Why here?" she asked, trying to stifle the memories that were rising to the surface.

He gave her a half amused, half puzzled look. "You understand my family owns every single La Cocina restaurant in Southern California, right?"

"Really?"

Jace laughed. Somehow that happy sound managed to loosen the hold of Haley's scowl.

"Yeah." He nodded his head back to the building. "My dad technically owns this one as well as the one in San Diego. So," he threw his arms out. "It means free food."

With that said, he continued to the door. Haley waited a beat before following him. He pulled the door open for her and stepped in behind her.

Soft samba music played through the speakers, the sound just loud enough to set the mood but not enough to distract from conversations. The air was layered with the smell of spices that stirred more images of past dinners eaten there. The decor was simple, neutral-toned walls matched the dark brown booths and tan table tops. The place was partly empty, the lunch rush over and the dinner rush still an hour away.

Behind the counter was a bored looking guy a few years older than Haley. He had tanned skin and thick black hair. When his gaze wandered to Jace, he gave a nod in recognition. Jace laughed.

"Javi! ¿Qué pasa, mi amigo?" he said, "What did you do now to get put on cashier duty?"

Javier gave Jace a frustrated shake of his head.

"I made a mistake of cussing in front of Abuelo," he said.

Haley was proficient enough in Spanish to know he was talking about his grandfather.

"Dude, that's rough. I had the same thing happen to me last summer. Now I just cuss in French if need be."

"I'll keep that in mind. What are you doing here?" He nodded to Haley. "Who is your date?"