Chapter 7 - "Tempting, but I'll pass."

Come Friday about 3/4s of the original group were still working on the project. Despite half the baseball team finding excuses to leave, Jace had still remained, joining in with two other booths to help their completion. Among the completed booths were Haley and Isaac's, regardless of the rough start of it.

"We did it!" Isaac said, raising his hand for a high five.

His smile was untamed and there was something about it that made Haley want to smile back. She didn't but did accept the high five. Their booth was plain looking without any paint but it was sturdy and stood six feet tall with a banner over the top with Kissing Booth in curly letters.

Around them, music filled the air. It had been a constant source of noise as they worked, people singing along to the lyrics as they hammered or screwed boards together. Haley was grateful for the distraction, it meant it was easier to go without talking. Though Isaac was easy going enough, Haley felt the faster she could get this project done the better.

The day was cooling down as the afternoon shifted closer to evening. The shadows that covered the lawn were longer and shaded the group. Abruptly the music cut out and everyone looked around. Rachel was standing on a step stool, her smile waiting for everyone's attention.

"Alright," she said, "I am really impressed with how much we have gotten done this week. I have to thank you all for working so hard and sticking around."

"Go team!" Jace yelled.

Laughter and cheers rippled through the group in response. Rachel gave a grateful smile to Jace. He beamed back at her, his arms crossed. Though Isaac smiled at the shouts, he didn't join in. Instead, he rested his arms over his knees and looked over the group. Haley somehow felt comfortable with him, knowing she wasn't the only one who didn't feel like yelling at any chance or feel the need to always show team spirit.

"Since you have stayed," Rachel said, "I want to invite you to an impromptu party at my house right after this. I say party but mainly we will be eating pizza, and hanging out. So whoever wants to come, come! Thanks again, everyone. We'll clean up and I'll see you at my house."

With the thought of pizza in mind, everyone moved about cleaning up, talking about rides and who would drive with whom. Isaac collected up the tools while Haley looked for stray nails and bits of trash. When they were sure their area was neat, they lifted the booth and carried it to the side of the gym, setting it beside the other completed ones. Isaac took off his glasses and cleaned them on the edge of his t-shirt. When he replaced them, he focused on Haley.

"You going to Rachel's?" he asked.

"I wasn't planning on it."

He cocked his head. "Free pizza and you say no, curious."

"Are people not allowed to say no to free pizza?"

"There are just not many who do. Why do you refuse such a delicious offering?"

He gave her a smile that she now knew as his joking smile. One side of his mouth turned upward and a dimple appeared in one cheek. It was an odd combination of a smirk and something playful. Haley would have called it a smirk if she thought Isaac was capable of such an action. After spending time with him over the week she was convinced it wasn't in his personality.

He was an open book to her. Smart, but not a genius. Friendly but not overly so. Worked but didn't strive at being an overachiever. He was thin but not muscular. All in all, he was a slightly above average teenage boy.

In her mind she imagined him playing video games on the weekend. He pushed homework off until Sunday afternoon and lived with both parents. He had the all American life. Simple, easy, uncomplicated. If they had been any further away from the Coast she pictured him wearing a beat-up baseball hat and driving an old pick up truck. So with knowing all this, she figured to him anyone refusing pizza would be a waste of an opportunity.