Chapter 30 - "You flashed us earlier. I'm guessing that counts."

Haley's hand was sore from gripping the hammer. On top of that, a couple of fingers were still throbbing from earlier encounters with the metal tool. The grass which had been comfortable enough at the start of the work section had become hard. Blades of grass were now imprinted into her knees. The sun's scrutiny had been diminished by the shadow of the gym as it stretched and shielded the working band of students.

Haley was bent over two booth sections, trying to connect them without doing more permeant damage to her fingers. Tired, she sank back onto her heels, rolling her neck, hearing a crack as something popped back into place. Nearby, Jace took a step back and surveyed their progress. The day was heading into late afternoon and the energy of the surrounding groups was fading.

"I believe I can officially say this thing looks nothing like a booth," he said.

Weary, Haley threw her hands into the air. "Teamwork."

An unbelieving glint sparked in Jace's blue eyes. He reached over and poked her nose with the tip of his finger.

"Look at Haley Day becoming a team player."

Embarrassed at the truth of the statement, she slapped his hand away making him grin triumph. Ty frowned at the booth and decided to complete the circle with a frown at Jace.

"You can't judge it cause it's only partially done," she said.

"I believe I can and I just did."

The music was cut and Haley glanced around, squinting against the descending glare. A boy in the next group over fell back onto the grass like he had been slaving away for years. Isaac laughed at him. When he caught Haley's gaze, his smile somehow brightened even more, and she felt herself brightening along with it.

"Everyone," Rachel called out, gathering up the last straying gazes. "You made great progress today! Thanks for still sticking around. Clean up and you're free to go."

"Freedom!" Jace said, thrusting his fist into the air.

"A bit dramatic," Haley said.

Not ready to stand up, she reached around her collecting scattered nails.

"Life is dramatic, Haley Day might as well come to terms with this."

Before Haley could make a retort, Ty held up her hands.

"Jace, I'm not going to get into the psychology behind that statement, instead I'm going to let you deal with the tools." She swept her hand to Haley. "Haley and I are going to move the booth back."

"Sí, capitán," he said, giving her a two fingered salute.

"Bueno." Ty turned to Haley and waved to the booth. "Okay, let's show some girl power."

Haley pushed herself up, brushing off the grass that clung to her.

"It's not that heavy," she said.

"Girl power anyways."

Haley shrugged and stepped over to Jace. Taking his hand, she turned the palm over and placed the discarded nails into it.

"For you."

"Look at you giving me presents," he smiled. "I didn't get you anything."

"You flashed us earlier. I'm guessing that counts."

"And all this time I was beginning to wonder if you were immune to my appearance."

"I am, but I felt like you should get a chance to feel validated."

Ty burst out laughing, as Jace scowled at Haley. In response, she gave him a wide, toothy grin. Reigning in her amusement, Ty leaned over and lifted one side of the booth, Haley hurried to grab the other. Though the structure was light, it was awkwardly shaped and the girls stumbled as they carried it to the gym, trying not to collide with neighboring laborers. Successful, they set it down on the outskirts so it wouldn't get bumped or crushed by others. When they stepped back, Haley cocked her head.