Chapter 25 - "No, I'm fine."

Haley looked up as the office door opened and Ty and Josie entered. Their faces were excited and their voices had an eager ring to them. When they looked at Haley, their eyes brightened. Despite the weariness hovering over her, Haley couldn't help the tinge of curiosity at their looks.

"Did you hear?" Josie jumped right in.

Puzzled, Haley gave a vague shake of her head.

"Seven Ships announced their tour dates and tickets go up this Friday, are you in?" Josie asked.

"In for what?"

"To go with us," Ty explained. "We're getting a whole group together. We already ran into Isaac and he said he was down to go. So what do you say, Haley Day, you in?"

An answer didn't come to Haley as she was trying to grasp the fact that these two girls were openly inviting her to hang out with them. Josie waved a hand in front of Haley's face.

"You still there?" she asked, with a laugh. "Or has the shock that you get the chance to see Seven Ships live left you speechless?"

Embarrassed, Haley leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms.

"Umm...yeah that could be fun," she said. "I might have to figure some things out before I let you know."

It felt as if Haley barely knew these girls, but before her was an opportunity to change that. The problem was she wasn't sure she wanted to. Was it worth it?

"Well," Ty said, "you have until Thursday. Now can we get a hundred copies of these?"

Ty handed over a flyer reminding people to get their prom tickets. Accepting the stack, Haley moved to the copier and set the machine running.

"I didn't realize Prom was only two weeks away," she said, facing the two girls.

Josie leaned against the counter. "I know, time flies when you're obsessing over Seven Ships. Do you have a date?"

Haley shook her head, not mentioning that the likelihood that she would ever get a date was very slim.

"Same, though Jace asked me and I said no."

"Why?" Haley blurted out.

Josie gave a shrug.

"It's Jace. I think he asked me cause we were sitting next to each other when Prom was being talked about. I was simply the closest option. By now he's probably asked someone else." Josie focused on Ty. "Do you think Nick and Rachel will have solved their problem and go together?"

Haley frowned in surprise as Ty cocked her head, thoughtful.

"I'm not sure, Nick really needs to make up for what he did and Rachel isn't one to back down."

"How did you know about them?" Haley asked.

Both girls looked to her as if the answer was obvious.

"Rachel had her strained smile on," Ty said. "Talked very little and ate nothing."

"She also left the lunch table for fifteen minutes," Josie said, "and when she reappeared her makeup was changed. After two minutes Nick also showed back up and looked like someone had kicked his dog."

"Oh," Haley said.

She leaned back against the copier, the machine humming against her.

"No one probably noticed except us," Ty said. "But then again we've known Rachel since elementary school. She wears a good mask but a mask is still all it is. It hides her face, not her body language."