chapter 6: The Best Man

Nothing would satisfy Quinn Fabray but to drag Finn and Puck to a quiet part of the bar so they could talk. 

“I'll get drinks,” she said, pushing Finn into a seat and running off before either of them had a chance to protest.

“I thought you said she was going to be in Mexico?” Puck said through gritted teeth. “I do not want Quinn Fabray thinking I'm gay.”

“I’m sorry, but Kurt told me she would be on vacation,” Finn apologized. He was going to kill Kurt. “Just play along for now. I’ll make sure to get her contact details from Brody before we leave and I’ll let her know the truth as soon as we get back to New York. Please, Puck, this is important.”

Puck huffed and groaned. “Fine. But, I’m not sure she's going to believe it anyway. She and I had a thing.”

“You mentioned that before. What happened between you two?”

“It started after graduation when you were in Albuquerque doing that internship. We used to hook up. It went on the year we were both in community college. And then she moved to San Francisco to go to college there so it ended.”

“For a whole year?” Finn asked incredulously. “How come you never mentioned it before?”

“Shh,” Puck warned as Quinn came back carrying three very fruity, very pink cocktails. 

Quinn set the drinks in front of the guys and sat down opposite them. “It's so good to see you both, it's been ages. How're you doing?”

“Great, we're great,” Finn said. “And you?” He took a sip of his drink and tried not to grimace at the taste.

“Oh, I’m fine. So, Brody says that you two are together now! That's so cool. How long have you been together?”

Finn and Puck stared at her in shock. Quinn seemed genuinely happy that they were together, and apparently wasn't at all surprised that they were apparently gay.

“You're not surprised?” Finn asked.

“No. Well, I was a little surprised when Brody mentioned that your boyfriend was Puck. But it makes a lot of sense now. It certainly explains a few things,” Quinn told them. 

“It does?” Finn asked weakly. Beside him, he could tell that Puck was fuming.

“Sure. Puck was so dead set against being in a relationship with me, and the way he broke up with me... Yeah, it explains everything.” She leaned across the table and put her hand on top of Puck's. “I just want you to know that I forgive you. I wish you could have told me the real reason, I would have understood.” She pulled back and smiled. “It's certainly easier to deal with the fact that a guy you really like isn't into you because he's gay, than because he just doesn't feel the same way.”

Puck practically growled. 

“So, uh, does it explain anything about me?” Finn asked, trying to prevent Quinn from saying something to Puck that would have induced a stroke.

“No, I always knew you were gay,” Quinn said lightly. 

“I see,” Finn took another drink to hide his reaction to that statement. 

But at least Quinn's comment had calmed Puck down a little. He smirked at Finn. 

Quinn clapped her hands together. “So, tell me how you two got together. I want to know all the details.”

Finn and Puck exchanged looks, each silently urging the other to go ahead and answer Quinn's questions.

Finally Finn relented. “Well, Puck and I always knew we were different from everybody else. Though I think it's fair to say that Puck struggled with that. Right, Puck?”