chapter 10: I'm in the mood for dancing

Finn waited until Rachel and Quinn were well out of sight before he turned his attention back to Puck. “This blows.”

“Yeah,” Puck sighed in agreement. “But at least you're getting to spend some time with Rachel, lay some ground work. And when you tell her the truth, it'll give you both something to laugh at.”

“Or she'll hate me for lying to her.”

“I doubt that,” Puck said. 

Finn didn't feel so optimistic. He glanced over his shoulder in the direction Rachel had gone to make sure she wasn't on her way back. “So, listen, while they're gone, can we be gay for a while? I still need to write this damn article.”

Puck groaned his acquiescence and allowed Finn to take his hand. They made their way through the crowd hand-in-hand, nodding at people and occasionally stopping to make small talk. They were both conscious of the stares they received and although some of the other guests were unfriendly, most people were too caught up the in the happy atmosphere to care about two men holding hands.

Eventually, they wound their way to the tables and found where they would be sitting. It was about half-full already.

“Hello, I’m Finn, this is my partner Puck,” Finn greeted.

A man sitting to the left of what would be Rachel's seat stood up suddenly and walked off without saying a word to them. The women he'd been sitting beside rolled her eyes at him before smiling apologetically at Finn. “Hi, I’m Portia. Please, no car jokes.”

“I don't actually know any car jokes,” Finn said. 

The two couples sitting opposite them said hello politely and went back to conversation with each other, making no attempt to include Finn and Puck, or Portia. They three of chatted for a while until Finn noticed Rachel and Quinn were approaching. 

He sat upright and smiled as they squeezed through the crowd to reach the table. Finn stood up to hold out her chair for Rachel

“Thanks, Finn,” Rachel said as she smiled shyly at him.

“It's so rare to see it that kind of behavior these days,” Quinn sighed. “It's such a shame that straight men aren't as mannerly as gay men. You could really teach them a thing or two about treating a lady right.” Then she eyed Puck. “Or maybe not.”

Finn coughed and flushed while Puck fumed.

“Aren't you sitting at the head table?” Puck bit out.

Quinn smiled maliciously at him. “Yes, but I just wanted to make sure that you two are going to hang around and dance with me and Rachel later and not duck out early like you did last night.”

“We'll be here,” Finn said quickly.

“Good,” Quinn said. She shook her head and tapped Rachel's shoulder. “Can you believe they skipped out on karaoke last night. I went up to their room to get them to come down again but they were otherwise engaged. I could hear them going at it all the way down the corridor.”

Finn turned red, Puck spluttered and coughed, Rachel didn't know where to look.

Satisfied with that shot, Quinn flashed them all one last smile and said goodbye. Puck glared at her until she was out of sight, then glared at Finn. 

“I'm sorry about Quinn,” Rachel said. “I think she's on a wedding high at the moment.”

“It's fine. She's fine,” Finn was quick to reassure her. Internally, he was cursing the fact that the only person who'd heard them having fake gay sex was the one person who would actually mention it in public. And to Rachel, of all people.