chapter 8: Catching Up

Finn didn't move as Rachel entered the hotel and waited in line at the reception desk. He could feel his breathing becoming erratic, so he took a couple of deep, calming breaths. 

He watched as Rachel finally reached the desk and started talking to the receptionist. The girl behind the desk said something that made Rachel laugh. Finn smiled. It had been so long since he'd heard her laugh.

He got to his feet and checked his appearance in a mirror, then waited behind a large plant as she finished up and handed her suitcase over the the porter. 

When she was level with the plant, Finn stepped out looking casual. “Rachel!” he exclaimed, injecting a hint of surprise into his voice.

“Finn!” Rachel responded with delight. She threw her arms up as if to hug him, then thought better of it and lowered them again. “Hi!”

“Hi,” Finn said. He was aware that he had a huge goofy smile on his face and he hoped it didn't look as stupid as it felt. “Quinn said you'd be here. It's good to see you.”

“You too. You look fantastic,” Rachel said enthusiastically. She cast an apologetic look in the direction of the hotel porter and gestured to him that she'd just be a minute. “Um... are you on your way out?”

“No, I’m just finishing up some work down here because the WiFi isn't working in my room.”

Rachel looked down at her feet, then back up at him. “Do you have time to grab a coffee?”

“Yes.” Finn hoped he didn't sound too eager. 

“Great. Um, I’ll just take my bag upstairs and freshen up. I’ll be back down in a few minutes.”

“I'll be here,” Finn told her. He pointed to where he'd been sitting. “Right over there.”

“See you soon,” Rachel said with a smile. 

Finn waited until the door on her elevator had slid closed before doing a little jump of joy. He checked his appearance in the mirror again. He tucked in his shirt, then untucked it. He ran his fingers through his hair. 

He took his seat, shut down his computer and tidied up the table he'd been using. The he grabbed a copy of the New York Times and opened it on an interesting looking article.

Then he waited. His knee bounced and he drummed the table nervously. His eyes were glued to the bank of elevators, every time the doors slid open, he jumped a little.

Finally, after the longest twenty minutes of his life, the doors opened to reveal Rachel. Finn immediately ducked his head and pretended to be reading. It took all his self control not to look up and watch her approach.

“Hi, Finn,” Rachel said quietly. “Are you sure I’m not interrupting anything?”

Finn threw down the paper. “Not at all. I had just finished.”

They sat in silence for a moment, drinking each other in.

Rachel had changed out of the jeans and tank top she'd been wearing when she'd arrived. She was now dressed in a simple red dress that accented her curves and displayed her legs. Her hair was loose and freshly curled, and she had applied some make-up. In some respects, Rachel had barely aged a day since high school but there was a womanliness to her now, that elevated her from pretty to beautiful. Finn couldn't stop staring.

It was Rachel who pulled her gaze away first, she glanced over her shoulder and signaled a waiter. They ordered coffee, and Rachel asked for a sandwich as well. 

“So,” Finn said, a little awkwardly. “You look wonderful.”

Rachel blushed. “Thank you, so do you. How have you been? Gosh, it's been ages since I’ve seen you last.”