XX. A S H T O N

20| Ashton

February '18

February '18

Trigger warning: Domestic violence/abuse

I freeze for the five seconds it takes my brain to register what's going on: someone is in the house with me. And unless it's Calum- which I know it's not- that is a Very. Bad. Thing.

I flick the flashlight off. Turning to try for the window, giving it a good yank, only to realize it's been nailed shut. Calum never would've done such a thing, meaning David did it. He locked Calum inside so he couldn't leave. That son of a bitch.

As the footsteps grow heavy inside the house I drop to the floor, using the frame of Calum's bed to haul myself under. I try to push discarded shoes and magazines out of the way without to much noise, only for something to tumble off the top of his bed.

The footsteps halt in the room next to Calum's, my breath hitches as my grip on the camera in my hands tightens. This is it, either a cop is going to find me on a secluded crime scene or David Hood himself is going to murder me himself.

Either way I'm screwed.

The bedroom door slams against the wall, a deafening crack sounds, no doubt the drywall has been damaged. Boots clank against the ground of the mobile home, the floor felt like it was shaking beneath my palms, or that could have just been me, on the verge of a panic attack.

I press my hand against my mouth, willing myself to stop breathing, just until he's gone. His dirty work boots are circling the room, kicking the mess around, before he stops at the foot of the bed.

He is so close, all it would take is for him to bend down and peek under the bed, if he really did kill joy, there is no doubt in my mind that he would end my life too.

He sighs, turning back to the entry of the room, before stumbling over one of the socks with a rock in it, the one I had eyed suspiciously earlier.

"Fuck." He curses, picking up the sock and chucking it at the nearest wall. "Should'a bashed that boy's head in when I had the chance."

That was it, they weren't just a default of Calum's craziness, they were for protection, a deterrent to keep David out of his room. Or at least give him the chance to get away. His room was an obstacle course.

Letting out another string of curses David finally stumbled away from the room and I knew if I didn't leave now, I may not get the chance to later.

My ears strain as I listen to David's footsteps trailing through the house, I hear him in his bedroom for sometime before another sound is accompanied by his grunts. A suitcase? It rolled across the wooden panels as he walked down the hallway.

He was probably going to skip town, I could risk a phone call to the police, but he would hear me. As I hear the front door creak on its hinges I make a break for his bedroom.