Negans exchange

➿➿➿➿

➿➿➿➿

I scrunch my nose up in distaste.

"Hold yer horses. Now? As in we gonna walk out that door, pack some shit and leave?"

Negan leans away from me as he raises his eyebrows.

"Did I fucking stutter?" He retorts aggressively jabbing Lucille towards me.

I slide backwards avoiding the vicious barbs wrapped around the baseball bat.

"No." I shake my head, teeth clamping around my tongue.

I roll my shoulders and then turn my back walking out of the room with the four other men trailing behind me.

"I'll meetcha by the truck. Gotta sort sum shit out real quick." I wave them off. Will scoffs.

"Let me make one thing clear. I'm in charge out there, not you. This may have been your idea, and somehow you've twisted Negan into seeing this as a good idea... but I am in charge and you will do what I tell you to." He shoves a finger into my face. 

I take a step backwards. Raising an eyebrow as I cross my arms. "we gonna have a pissing contest? Play who got bigger balls? I'm doing this to keep ma head not to undermine yer leadership. Ma nephew is back in ma room. He's eleven and I wanna tell 'im where I goin' so shut that hole under yer nose. I got no problem shuttin' it for you."

I turn on my heels heading straight into my room. Mateo sits on the bed watching the door anxiously.

"Your back!" He exclaims. I shake my head scooping up the rucksack I was generously returned. Becoming scout earned me back my rucksack.

"Not fer long kid. Negan got me makin' a run down home. I'm gonna be back in a couple days but I need ya to keep low, earn some points for yer self and do what yer told. Don't piss no one off. Nor Negan." I tell him shoving my clothes into the bag.

Mateo slides off the bed to pick up my pale denim jacket. He holds it out to me his fingers rubbing the warn out fabric.

"Could you go home? I want the picture of daddy, uncle Dallas and grand daddy. The one from the barbecue before uncle Dallas left." Mateo asks me sheepishly. I curl around him tightly.

"I'll bring 'em all back. Just for you." I kiss the top of his head. "I love ya. Be safe." I open the door swinging my rucksack up on to my back.

"I love you to auntie D. I'll see you in a few days."

I leave the door open behind me as I walk away. I feel mateos eyes follow me down the hall, I know his mind chases after me. Back at camp he used to beg and throw tantrums to let him come with me scouting.

"Let's go." I throw my rucksack into the back of the large black cube van. The very same one Danny backed into my truck. which has been moved into the farthest parking space in the yard, out of harms way. Negans idea apparently. Heard the chatter over the radio.

I sit down on the back bumper as we pull out of the compound, patting down my pockets for my notebook. Turning up empty I sigh.

Day one: lost my most treasured possession in a compound full of blackmailers and compulsive liars. What else could possibly go wrong before day three? 

Negan

Dakota hangs from the back of the truck. her hands patting across her chest and sides for something. I imagine it's the small book I found last night. people need to take better care of their belongings. Especially very important ones like the book I have now stored under the nightstand. Amber loves to snoop, can't have her starting a sissy fight with the only entertaining preson in this compound. Although the mental image of amber attempting to threaten Dakota is rather funny.

I shove off the railing, smacking Lucille against the yellow metal as I do. I've got shit to do, kids to nuriture.

I stroll through the compound, feeling the high of submission. Three or four times I encounter saviors. Each time they drop to one knee, heads low. It's sweet as punch.

I strike Lucille against the final door to the second hall.

Moments later Dakotas nephew pops his head out the door.

He makes a squeak dropping to one knee at the sight of me.

"Hey! Get up. Walk with me kid." I instruct. He pops back up to his feet, closing the door behind him to follow two paces behind me.

"What can I help you with?" He asks nervously.

"Relax kid. I'm not gonna bite. I just figured with your aunt gone you could use a mentor." I explain heading for the office door.

"That's very kind Negan. But Simon was supposed to be taking me out to the fence again today." He sheepishly explains.

Am I being to kind? Is that what I should do to him? I guess traumatizing him won't help but will being kind make him more likely to comply to what I want?

"Then get out of here! Run on home." I turn on my heel, jabbing Lucille back down the way we came from.

Mateo nods his head quickly, his eyes wide. He scurries back down the hall without a word.

I sigh shoving the office door open. The inside is cool and familiar. Just the way it should be. I kick off my boots, dropping my gloves, jacket and Lucille off at the end of the bed and roll across the plush mattress, facing the ceiling.

Reaching over blindly I grasp the small leather bound pocket notebook from the underside of my nightstand.

I lazily flip it open to a page near the beginning of the book and bring it up to read.

October 17th 2010
Here we are, still. Somehow. This is my fourth entry. I still don't know what to write just yet. Micheal stopped attempting to make me understand. I don't care. We've reached dallas, TX. I'm surprised we made it this far from gran and granddaddies farm. Michael wants to try for Washington. He thinks there's hope at the CDC. I think hope is a waste of time now. Even the military couldn't keep up. How will we?

I close the notebook. That shit is depressing. Damn, I thought maybe it would be a calendar or maybe even a list of how many freaks Dakota's killed. I regret having not given this back now. Oh well, she can have it back when she gets back. Tell her I found it under the couch.

I roll over, sliding it back under the drawer and shut it. Rolling over again I pick myself up off the bed. I'm going to go find some food.