The camera game

➿➿➿➿

➿➿➿➿

The rumble of gravel under our tires draws to a close and the truck lurches to a stop. Simon rises first.

"Got to go see the boss. I'll see you around Dakota. Good luck." Simon vanishes through the open doorway and across the gravel towards the compound. I follow Simon, ma fingers still wrapped around the small camera, drumming on the top casually. With the sun beaten on my skin I don't wanna go inside, so I won't.

Instead I stride over to ma truck, strip off the denim jacket and drop it on the truck with the camera and then climb expertly up on the roof. I stretch my legs out, heels on the windshield and lean back on my elbows, feeling the warmth on my skin. It reminds me of home, always sunny and hot.

"Dakota." I tip my head back to see Negan striding smoothly across the gravel, Lucille casually resting in his grip.

"Hey hairspray. How ya been?" I lounge back in the sun.

"I'm doin' just fine Dakota. Why don't ya come on down so we can have ourselves a proper conversation." Negan suggests, but it ain't a suggestion, there's no room to say 'no'.

So I slide on down the windshield to sit on the hood and then off to the gravel right beside him.

"So what's up?" I lean back against the truck. A smile creeping on to my lips.

"I was just Having a word with Simon, he was giving me the usual report. And I have to say," he pins his tongue between his teeth and lower lip with a smile, it's strangely attractive. "I am liking what I'm hearing, going full savior on Jeffry. You have Proved your loyalty to every savior at the hilltop and gave one unforgettable impression."

I blush, biting my cheek, the look on Gregory's face after I punched him still fresh in my mind. My knuckles throb in response. It's a good ache.

"Hey slick, I don't mean to burst yer bubble but that assholes name is Gregory it ain't Jeffry." I study my bruising and bloody knuckles in the sunlight, it's gonna be a hell of a time lettin' it heal.

Negan pins me with a look before gesturing for me to follow him towards the compound. I strut along beside him cheerfully. Ma ankle gives small groan of protest but I don't mind, after all the crap I went through couple days ago rolling my ankle was the least of my problems, I'm gonna be top of the world. With a slight shuffle in my step I take long strides to keep evenly paced with Negan as he chatters like a hen.

"I know you mentioned your ankle being a bit sore from that scouting mission. So I'm gonna keep you with the small runs for now to a couple different feeders and then I want to send you to one of our overflow compounds near the hilltop.

"I want you to keep a bit of a leash on the place for a week or so. After that, you're done like dinner! Top of the food chain with the rest of the badasses."

I climb up the short set of stairs towards the door of the compound while Negan walks around it to stand below, he stops beside it with his back to the long driveway where most of the motorbikes are parked. Once again his tongue dampens his lower lip then he gazed up at me.

"How's that sound to you Dakota. Can you handle that." Not a question.

I nod draping my jacket over the yellow rail. "Sounds like a hoot."

He gives me a grin. Then jabs Lucille back towards the hidden doors that connect with the cells and the lower boiler level of the compound. "I got shit to do and people to fuck with. Don't make yourself scarce just yet alright." Negan turns on his heel, ready to walk through those doors and do his thing.

"Negan!" I call out, surprising myself. He turns back towards me, a shit eating grin on his face.

I pull the Polaroid up and before he can wipe the smirk off his face I snap the picture.

"So I don't need to keep staring." I sass waving the small piece of film at him. His grin only grows wider, holding out a hand for the camera.

"Then it's only fair I get a turn." I lean over the rail to give it to him. Leaning back I strike a pose but Negan only chuckles. "Ah, ah, ah," he tuts. "You got me by surprise, now it's my turn." With that he's gone, leaving me with the small developing Polaroid photo in my grasp.

I shake my head striding into the compounds upper level towards the small room Mateo and I share. With the lieutenant perk maybe I can snag a better room for us two, or get him 'is own. He's a big kid now, probably doesn't wanna share with his aunt no more. Although we've spent almost seven years sharing everything to him it's probably everything now. He grew up in this world, known nothing else since the age of four.

I shoulder my room door open, kicking off my boots at the foot of the bed, my jacket on the post. I toss the photo onto the nightstand with a laugh, it's the perfect photo of him. I don't see why I needed a photo of the king of this world but it seemed like a fun idea.

I slide onto the bed, resting my head against the headboard. My little notebook in hand a begin my new entry. The sanctuary.

Day two thousand seven hundred five. In the span of three weeks I've gone from the worst of the worst, living off the bare necessities so long I forgot what the real world felt like, comfort and the stress free day to day of not fearing death at every corner. I don't want to survive anymore, I wanna live. I wanna be the top of the world like Negan from the carefree attitude to the unnecessary trinkets to make everything feel like home. This is my world now too, why should the dead be stopping me.

 This is my world now too, why should the dead be stopping me