russian roulette

There are one hundred, thirty two men and women in the outpost that Negan wants me to run, every single one of these sorry asses has to go through me if they have a problem. That's not so hard. It's the assholes that used to be in charge that got a problem, doing everything in their power to make my life a living hell here.

From starting pissing contests with other people, distracting them and provoking them to outright trying to pull punches on me. I honestly don't think I wanna be on the top of the world. It's not as cool as Negan made it seem, then again- he's respected. I'm just the new toy. I got told to keep the pricks in line, that's it. I ain't allowed to throw their shit back in their faces, I ain't allowed to knock them down, I gotta take it up the ass like "a good leader" tell you one thing for sure, Negan don't take it up the ass.

Twice today I've had to get people back in line, reorganize their sorry excuse of an assembly line, sorting through supplies that are sent up to the sanctuary.

"Come on people! We gotta get this shit outta here! Ya fixin' to have a baseball bat up yer ass?!" I lean into the railing, palms slick with sweat, I ain't ever had a problem givin' orders but somehow this feels wrong. A few boys from the compound smile up at me, Tyler, Reid, Marcus and josh. They're all a bit younger in the compound but seem more than happy to oblige my orders.

..:: Hey, Dakota, can we change up shift in a bit? Some of the boys are complaining ::..

I groan, swiping the walkie off my hip. Stomping towards the office. It's the only quiet place in this building until everyone goes to bed.

..:: Do they do patrols for Negan? ::..

..:: well yes ::..

..:: then they can stand out there until the moons come up, because who are we? ::..

..:: Negan ::..

..:: who are you?! ::..

..:: I'm Negan! ::..

.:: now get back to work ::..

~~~~~~~~

..:: Dakota, I am glad to hear your alive and well. I just wanted to check in and see how you're holding up ::..

The roof was quiet, I willingly took the roof shift to avoid everyone's shit for a few hours. At least the idiots that were in charge have settled down.

I bite my fist, shoving down some unpleasant sarcastic remark. 

..:: all good here, gonna need to talk to Simon though. Hilltop hasn't shown with those missing supplies ::..

I set down my gun, settling on the roof edge.

..:: let's give them until tomorrow. I want you back at sanctuary by tomorrow afternoon ::..

I lay back looking up at the beautiful kollidascope of colors wash over the sky.

Had it really been a week? It didn't feel like it. I just finally got everyone in line, I have everyone in this compound wrapped around my finger. It took some work but I did it.

..:: sounds good. I'm driving myself back? Or should I expect a luxurious panel van? ::..

I tease, once again bitting my hand to keep from laughing.

..:: I'm going with the boys tomorrow for a few little errands, then I'll be around to talk to a few guys after lunch. You can come back with me then ::..

Negan's coming here. An entire car ride with him, I've done it before but for some reason it makes me jittery. Behind me, Caleb clears his throat. I turn raiding an eyebrow.

"Dakota, there's a couple guys here from the hilltop. Say they wanna talk to Negan."

..:: hey slick, I gotta go ::..

I pick up my sniper, handing it to Caleb. "I'll be back up in a bit. Keep watch."

I stride down the corridors whistling negans tune, around me, men drop to their knees. The handful of people at the end of the hall watch with mild horror. I draw my machete, lounging it on my shoulder.

"I'm Negan. You boys lookin' for me?" I raise an eyebrow, tapping my heel on the ground impatiently.

"We came offering Gregory's head." The front man offers. His voice low and enunciated.

"Let's see then." I point the machete at the bag in his grip.

"Heads don't travel well." He informs me before pulling a head out of the bag, holding it in the light for me to see.

It's a skin walker, skin grey and nasty. Dead eyes looping about in its head. It's very close but it's not Gregory's head. Even half rotting I know what that toad looks like.

I glance at the curly haired man holding the skin walker head. In his other hand his python, the hammer already drawn back. Every person in this group holds a weapon. How did no one notice.

I tense, adrenaline pumping through my veins. Would he be bold enough to shoot us? Negan would retaliate, and it would not be pretty. Could I get a swing in before he fires, who would be the next on me, the long dark haired gruff looking man behind him looks a good candidate, blue eyes burning with contempt. Even the girl beside the redneck looks ready to shed blood.

"Everyone up!" I order. I step back down the hall a few paces, becoming part of the group behind me.

"If they shoot, aim to kill," I order lowly. Guns pop from holsters.

"I'm afraid gentlemen that's not a very convincing Gregory, not Weasley enough. Good -" The man in front aims the python. I barely have time to hit the floor before the bullet hits the man behind me between the eyes. "Fire!" I scream crawling away from them. I pick up the fallen mans gun and run. Behind me, a full on battlefield opens up. I dive behind a barrel. Unzipping my heels I throw them across the hall, who was I kidding with those shoes.

A bullet sails through the barrel beside my head, eyes wide, I glance through the hole. Blood runs across the concrete, bodies stain the walls.

The gun in my hands shakes as I attempt to calm down enough to breathe without wheezing. I grit my teeth's popping up from behind the barrel to aim for the curly haired leader. I click the safety off, aiming for his skull. My finger tightens around the trigger.

I slam into the wall behind me, spine singing a duet with the back of my skull. Gasping in shock a tremor runs down my left arm and then goes numb. I turn my head only to be jabbed by the plastic end of an arrow. An arrow embedded in my shoulder!

I grit my teeth, taking a few short breathes quickly I rip it from my shoulder, screaming through gritted teeth, I throw the arrow down and crawl into the hall. Bodies are already piling up. I look back the way I came as footsteps storm the hall. Blood runs down my arm, staining my shirt. I press a hand to it then hiss pulling my hand away to examine the blood. I look up at the wall behind me. Another body beside me is creating a pool across the concrete. I splash my hand into the blood quickly smearing it across the wall at head height until it looks like a spray, then I rub blood along the back of my head and slide down to the floor, finally dropping a blob of blue on my forehead I slump down to the floor and fall limp.

Boots splash through the blood in front of me, spraying it into my face. "Is that everyone?" Someone asks.

"Well there's 'negan'." Another grunts kicking my shin. I move as any dead body would while desperately wishing to jump up and impale the men in front of me. The kick defiantly hurt. They pass and I remain limp on the floor. The sound of gunfire and the occasional scream turns into distorted waves crashing against the building and everything goes black.