Go on a road trip they said

➿➿➿➿

➿➿➿➿

Negan

Five days come and go. Then eight. Thirteen. Eighteen. With no sign of the entire team returning i'm beginning to loose my patience. They aren't coming back it's a shame and a waste of resources.

Sitting down on the couch a small knock distracts me from the map on the table with a highlighted route of where Dakota and them went. It was a stupid idea. To far, to many risks. It just seemed so good.

"What?!" I demand.

Mateo slides through the gap in the door, his face focused on his boots.

"Hey kid. What do you need?" I kneel down to his height.

"Have you heard anything from my auntie?" He looks so innocent, you'd never guess he's related to a spitfire like Dakota.

"Nothing kid. But I want you to stop worrying. Dakota can't always be around you know kid, it's time to man up. How old are you anyway?"

I stand up grabbing Lucille from the couch. My girls all cleaned up and shiny.

"Eleven. Auntie Dj told me I should stop crying, they won't do anything in this world. But I can't help it. She's all I have." He kicks his foot shyly.

"Well kid she's -"

.:: Negan, you need to see this! ::.

I groan yanking the the walkie talkie from my hip.

.:: what?!::. I demand waiting for perimeter to answer.

.:: front yard. You need to see this, sir::.

I shove my walkie back on to my belt. "Care to see what the fuss is about?" I ask Mateo who has focused his attention on fine stained barbs of Lucille.

"Okay." He nods. I clamp a hand on his shoulder and exit the office.

Dakota

Home. Four letter word that means the best god damn place on earth. It may have once seemed like a horrible place but screw it I spent two weeks out there and it was the worst two weeks of ma life.

Striding stiffly down the center of the road, one machete dribbles blood across the slick leather handle and onto my arms. I swing it on to my shoulder like Negan swings Lucille. The action burns, my legs are sore, my body bruised and battered. I wanna sleep for a month.

The gates are pulled open as a crowd of saviors begin to pour from the building to watch me swagger up the gravel road, my cowboy bloody boots crunching in rhythm. The squeaky red wagon struggles to roll properly.

"Honey!" I call throwing my arms wide and leaning back. Striking Negan's signature pose.

Negan steps out the doorway. As I finish my cocky shout.

"I'm home." I laugh dropping my arms to my sides. Negan returns the pose with his die hard grin. I get the appeal now, with nothin' but the corpses for company I can see how it can be fun to be Negan.

Negan

"I have never seen anything sexier." I remarks striding right up to Dakota. Her blonde hair is matted, her body bloody and torn up but still she holds her head high, a smile on her face.

She tippy toe to put her dry lips near my ear ear. "Now you know how I feel."  She nibbles on her bloody lower lip slightly before leaning away. I groan as she steps back.

I blink the sun out of my eyes watching Dakota scoop Mateo up off the ground with a smile. The rusty wagon left in the gravel.

"Negan," she greets. "We need to talk."

I blink again. Then swipe my hair backwards again. "Right this way." I answer. Pointing Lucille off my hip, up the stairs.

Dakota sets Mateo down, adjusting her dusty rucksack on her shoulders.

"Whadja want with that?" Dakota points back to the rickety red wagon; piled haphazardly with a couple solar panels, a generator, three duffle bags and a butt load of other useful shit.

Every savior in the courtyard stands, staring at the wagon a mixture of shock and surprise written across their faces.

"Whatcha staring for? Gotta problem?!" Dakota shouts. Everyone quickly turns back to their jobs. Dakota takes the chance to scrape brain matter off her machete, before dropping it into its case against her shredded jeans. Bits of broken dirty pale skin can be seen through the holes.

"Dwight! Take that, get it workin." I order. Dwight nods. Dakota quickly snatched the three duffles off the wagon.

"Meds. I cleared out what I could. There more." She explains. Swinging the duffles over her shoulder, she hisses through her teeth. Blood stains her teeth.

"Let's walk and talk. I think you need to see doctor Carson yourself." I suggest as we begin to walk through the sanctuary. Dakota limps slightly, keeping her pain quiet.

"I want Adam, fat Micheal, Will and Jason's points. Whatever they woulda earned on that trip. And I want my truck back." Dakota lists off adjusting her hold on the duffel bags.

I laugh, shaking my head. Looking at Dakota I see no trace of a joke on her face, her gaze is set, her eyebrows raised. Blood rolls down her brow, only adding the dirt and blood stains on her once flawless skin.

"I ain't playin' I want ma truck, I want the points. I coulda run, I coulda abandoned that little quest, but I didn't. I spent two weeks Layin' out for this place, nothin but the frogs keepin' me company. I earned it." Dakota stops, placing herself in front of me. Mateo stops too, pressing himself against the wall.

I swing Lucille around waiting for her to finish her little speech. In all honesty it is fair, she's fast, she's clever, she ended up on her own and instead of being a chicken shit and running back here and pushed on. That takes balls. And she's got giant lady balls.

"Dakota, the shit you did for the saviors proves you got the balls to work here, the shit you just pulled proves you ain't just got balls, you got lady balls and that is fierce. I love it. Go get cleaned up, see doctor Carson. Grab some food. Hell take a nap! I think we need to talk about finding you a serious position here. Hell Im thinking about making you a lieutenants. Come by tomorrow before lunch and we'll talk about what happened out there." I turn away. Whistling cheerfully.

"Oh, and I found this. I'm assuming you want it back?" I turn around again, pulling the small leather bound notebook from my pocket.

Dakota's eyes grow wide, her skin turning ashen. Quick as a snake, she snatches the book from my grasp, flipping through it quickly.

"Where'd you get this?" She demands tucking it into the inside pocket of her jacket.

"Told you, I found it. Better take care of your shit, who knows what might happen if someone else found that." I remark. Dakota takes a step back, her gaze becoming cold as she eyes me suspiciously. I now notice the hint of a bruise around her eye, slithering down her cheekbone and jaw line.

"Thank you..." there is no sincerity in her words. She quickly turns, catching Mateo by the shoulder they stride away, towards doctor Carson's office.

Hot diggity dog! I didn't think I'd miss her as much as I did. The fire, love it!