➶ 4

RICH AND ROYAL pain in the asses were what accurately described the students at St. Blair's Boarding Academy. Entitled and selfish, stuck-up, and downright rude with the firm belief that the number of digits within a bank account defined an individual. Mine, on the other hand, was sitting in negatives.

Despite that, my parents never let money become an issue, and had always tried to make me as happy as they could. I vaguely remember that as a child, I had wished for a miracle, and all I could feel was helplessness as my family drowned in debts. And so, I carved a path for myself that my father would approve of, and one that could always guarantee money.

When arriving in Business class the next morning, on time, I noticed that Professor Clarke was absent. Instead, in her place was an older man, perhaps in his early fifties. He shuffled through a small pile of papers without the acknowledgment of any student. The man slowly peeled off his charcoal wool coat, and with the tag peeking, it printed, Giorgio Armani. His presence was demanding, full of authority, and challenge. I studied his calculating eyes as he forwarded to the introductory textbook, flipping through it with annoyance.

I noticed how the white dress shirt he wore clung to his chest perfectly, showing that he maintained good health, to the way his knuckles would clench in the slightest when a student nosily entered. After the announcements that class had begun, he stood up, shut the door with more force than necessary. He had yet to speak, but I felt obliged to listen, that was the effect of his demeanour. The students remained still, "Good morning," his rough voice began, "Many of you may know me, but for those who don't, I am Kade Lawing," he addressed briefly, "Professor Clarke has fallen ill, and it is unlikely that she will return anytime soon," my mouth fell at the mention of his name, he was involved in hundreds of projects with conglomerates, becoming a rather prominent figure in the car industry, "You will address me as Professor Lawing,"

As for Mauve, I had known of her before she had known of me. Her secret would remain safe.

When Professor Lawing stared directly at me, I maintained eye contact, despite that I felt a rush of sudden shivers and the need to run away. As he looked away, I breathed out in relief. "Now, let us begin with a simple question, answer it to the best of your abilities," he paused, rolling his sleeves up, "What is a businessman most afraid of?"

Hoping to impress Professor Lawing, every student in the lecture hall raised their hands, all except for me. "When I point to you, introduce yourself, then answer my question," he said, pointing the timid female that sat in the right-wing, furthest from the front. "Phoebe Morgan," she blurted quickly, "The fear of failure," the female hesitated, "An individual could succeed in life, but choose not out of the fear. Our true potentials become clouded by pessimistic thoughts, and that it's often why many don't chase their dreams."

He nodded, "A good start," he commented, still unmoving and unimpressed, then pointed to the far-middle.

"Nicolas Pierre," the male voice replied, cooly and confidently. "It's in our nature to seek the acceptance of society. If a businessman were to create new ideas, naturally, the rejection would make an individual give up on their works," he continued, but I hadn't bothered to peek a glance. "You would lose all confidence in yourself and it's a large factor of why we won't pursue what we want, out of the fear of rejection."

Professor Lawing praised, "Excellent response," he noted, "As expected." Then he pointed again but in my direction. I gulped, with slow movements, wordlessly, 'me?' When he nodded impatiently and took a displeasing gaze at my attire, I mustered all the confidence that I could. Maintaining eye contact, I refused to let my voice waver, "Calista Lockhart," I took a deep breath, "The fear of age," my answer was careful.

There could have been hundreds of different answers, but to me, they were all generic. Professor Lawing frowned while students snickered and scoffed, but he raised his palm to silence everyone. "Quiet, let Miss Lockhart finish,"

"A businessman has the possibility to succeed a thousand times, but only live once," I replied, my voice remained strong, "Money is what may buy the common population, but it can never buy more time." I continued without hesitation, "A man can live to conquer and achieve many awards, but fear one day that he will no longer exist to see the new phenomenal tools and ideas created. Despite all his wealth, he will eventually lose it all, even if it is inherited or not," I paused, taking a breath, "He will become fearful of waiting for a future that would never come."

The room fell deathly silent. I could hear heart pounding in my ears and the intake of my breathing, it was deafening. And suddenly, Professor Lawing broke out in a smile, letting out a genuine laugh as he clapped ever so slowly. "In all my years, I have heard the generic answers, all of them," he added, impressed, "But Calista, you have surely surprised me!"

 "In all my years, I have heard the generic answers, all of them," he added, impressed, "But Calista, you have surely surprised me!"

THE DINING HALL was hectic, but as a group of respected individuals entered, the chatter and laughter halted entirely. I hadn't particularly taken to see, having an idea of whom they were. When footsteps neared me, Zavian paled significantly, tilting his head to the side. "Is this seat taken?" she tapped my shoulder, pointing to the seat beside me.

"N-No, it isn't," I replied, choking on my water as I tapped my chest.

She looked taken back, patting my back lightly, "Are you okay?" she asked in concern, tucking her blonde hair behind her shoulders. When I nodded in confirmation, she stepped back and took a seat, "I hope it's okay if I sit here," she chimed, "You must be Calista, I'm Liana Sterling."

Her over-enthusiasm felt odd, and her friendliness made me feel uncomfortable. I eyed Zavian, 'Why is a Royal sitting with us?!' my eyes screamed. And it certainly did not help that he had looked as clueless as I did. "The Liana Sterling?" I repeated as if I was unsure of what she had said.

If it were possible, her light laughter was a melody, and I envied how even her laugh was beautiful. "You're exaggerating" she shook her head, "I heard about the situation with Daniel, and how you managed to make the Kade Lawing smile," she gushed in excitement, "That's talent,"

When I remained quiet, mainly out of shock, Liana frowned, "Sorry, I must have come off as overbearing," she sighed in disappointment, "I'll leave you alone then,"

"Wait, sorry," I rubbed my face, clearing my throat, "No, it's okay," my answer was frantic, "It was just a bit overwhelming, that's all."

Breathing in relief, she took a seat, "I hope you know that I don't care about what others may say about scholarship students," she began, "So, I was wondering if you would be interested in coming to lunch with some friends on Friday?" suggested Liana sweetly, "Zavian is welcome to come too,"

Zavian was the first to speak, "I've got a meeting that day, and gone for the weekend,"

There had been something about Liana that urged me to steer clear, but perhaps it was the overly positive attitude. In hesitation, peeking a glance at Zavian, his eyes warned me to be cautious, to decline. But for some reason, I couldn't deny her offer. "Where should I meet you?"

"The left-wing!" she bubbled, "The girls and I like to get a bit of fresh air on the rooftop, the view is gorgeous!" clapping eagerly, Liana stood up, "I will go let them know, see you Friday, Calista."

She returned to the large dining table in the middle, sashaying as she did. The cheerful smile she wore had never once faltered. "It can't possibly be that bad, right?" I spluttered, attempting to convince myself otherwise.

"I really hope so, Caly," he rubbed his temples in thought.