Chapter Six

2011, July 14
Jung-gu, Daegu

'I still feel trapped, like I'm still being held in a room where I cannot leave, the only time I can leave is when I talk to the others, or the doctor takes me. It feels the same when I have food given but by a different person. I have clothes brought to change into, I'm brought to a pond to wash in, it's all the same, nothing have changed'

"Inseong, you're spacing out again," Dawon called as I looked up from the floor, making eye contact with him.

"Oh, sorry," I said and tightened the blanket around me and sat back on the couch. "Dawon, please tell me why you won't go into the basement," I demanded as he shrugged.

"I don't like basements" he lied, I could tell when he lies, I have lived almost all my life with him.

"You're lying," he shook his head and looked away from me.

"Look at me," I said and stood up, walking over to him and standing in front of him.

"Stop, I told you why I'm not going into the basement," he turned away from me again.

"Fine, but I still didn't believe you," I said as he placed his face in the palm of his hand. He sighed as I heard quiet sniffles. "Are you crying?" I ask and stand in front of his and pulled his hand away and looked at the tears running down his face. I used the end of my blanket and wiped away some of the tears.

"Why do you care about me so much!" He yelled and pushed me away as he stood up and walked towards his room.

"I'm the oldest so I'm trying to take care of everyone!" I yelled back while he slammed his door.

I pushed my hair back out of my face and sighed. I walked around the house and looked around at the stuff in the house. It sounded quiet in the house, the others were sleeping, I think Dawon may have fallen asleep. I walked back towards Dawons room and opened the door to see Dawon lying in his bed. The blanket wrapped tightly around his body as his breathing was calm.

"He falls asleep fast," I chuckled and looked around the room. A small, light green book caught my attention in the corner of the room.

I walked towards the book and bent down, picking the book up and opened the first page, which read. 'Please don't read, only read once I'm dead, which will be soon...' I narrowed my eyebrows and walked out of the room with the book still in my hand.

"Hello," Youngbin said and walked out of his room as I waved at him before walking into my room. I sat on the bed and opened the book

"I wonder who owns this book," I asked myself and read the first page.

January 6, 2004
I really hate this house, this family. I won't be here much longer, she hurts me, she hates me. She tells me that there is something wrong with me, something inside me. I've been possessed by a demon, a dangerous demon, she forces me to believe that. I didn't do anything wrong, she just thinks I should die. Mom thinks I shouldn't be here, or around her. She brought a man in, I didn't know his name or what he was doing. He told her that there wasn't anything wrong with me; she didn't believe him. He came back a week later, trying again, and again almost every week, but still found no demons in me. Is she crazy, or am I? I can't even go to school no more because seeing other people scares me, seeing the simple rocks in the dirt scares me, it reminds me of her, what she did to me. I want to run away, but yet I don't have the energy for that, I haven't eaten in a long time. I don't have anything to keep track of the date. She tells me that I'll be fine, because the demon will feed me, or the demon will feed itself.

I looked up from the book and looked around the room. "That's horrible," I said and looked back down at the book and flipped a page.

January 13, 2004
She brought a different man over, he was tall, skinny and scary. His smiles dug into me like a knife, I didn't like him, not at all. When my mother left, he would glare at me and tell me to tell him everything. So, I did, I didn't know if I could trust him, but I'll try whatever I can to get out of the house. He listened to everything and even looked at the scars that she gave me; burn scars from hot stones. He told me not to worry and that I will be safe soon, but my mother came back. She said to check me out and tell her if there is anything wrong with me. His last name was Mr. Oh, he didn't tell me his name, but told me his last name. He told me to try to stay safe until he comes back. Once he left, she put me back into the basement again, which is where I've been staying for about haft a year. She finally fed me, it wasn't much, but it was amazing to me. She brought me rice, a little cup of rice. I thanked her and she just left. If I didn't thank her, I wouldn't have gotten that cup of rice, I would have gotten a slap and a stone to the skin.

I closed the book and put it by me on the bed. "That boy has been through a lot" I sighed and lid down on the bed again. I looked up at the roof and placed my arms on my chest, slowly falling asleep.