Chapter 15

Christy's POV.

I pulled my feet into my apartment slowly, feeling the weight of the day's work on me. I turned on the lights and looked around, half expecting to see my things out of place as my landlord had threatened to do so if I don't pay up my rent. I sat on my bed letting the bed receive me before falling totally on it allowing it drown my weight.

The vibration from my bed woke me up as I squeezed my brows trying to remember what just happened. I apparently fell asleep without even realizing it. I pulled my eyes to my phone as it vibrated again and I checked the caller ID. Mom, I sighed and got up cleared my voice a few times so as not to sound tired. I didn't want to get her worried.

"Hey Mom," I answered trying my best to be cheerful.

"Nne how are you?" I closed my eyes as I let her voice give me the comfort I needed.

"I'm fine mom, how are you?" I swallowed. I felt my eyes well up in tears and a lump come up in my throat. I swallowed again, I couldn't let her know I was near tears.

"What's the matter Nne?" She asked.

"Nothing ma," I sniffed, coughing a little to distract her. "Nothing, eh something got into my eye and... I'm trying to remove it."

"Okay," she said sighing.

"Well mom, how are you? How is everyone at home?" I asked getting excited suddenly. The thought of my mom and siblings brought me joy unexplainable.

"We're fine my dear, your brother is doing well as well as your sisters." She said the worry no more in her voice and I couldn't be happier.

"Wow, I miss you mom." I said realising just how much I missed her in the moment.

"I miss your voice, I miss your laugh, I miss your food and your okpa," I said with a laugh earning a laugh from her too.

"I miss you too my daughter, I hope you are eating well?" She asked and I laughed because I had been expecting that question. Trust Nigerian mothers to be worried if you skip even a single meal.

"I am mom, but I really miss your food."

"My dear," she sighed, "it's alright. How is your new job?" She asked and in that moment memories of the day's activities flashed before my eyes.

"My new job is fine, it's more than I expected, everything is going according to plan mom," I said each word with great difficulty because I wasn't really good at lying especially to my mom. But I couldn't tell her all I went through at the office, I couldn't tell her my boss hated me because of my skin color, I couldn't tell her he had refused to pay me my salary for reasons best known to him. I couldn't tell her that.

"It's alright, let me leave you to rest okay?" She said calmly and I nodded like she saw me.

"Okay ma, bye mom."

I stared at the phone in silence as I let my mind play back the events of the day. I walked into the bank and met a customer service representative. I laid my complaints to her asking her why my salary hadn't entered and she told me the sad truth; nothing was paid into my account. I went back to the office only to discover that my boss had gone.

I got up from my bed and headed for my table to go through the bills that laid there. I hate to admit but I am broke. So broke I can't even afford the roof over my head. I thought about my boss's reason for not paying me my salary, maybe I'm on probation? I shook my head, it didn't say on my file that I was on probation. So what could be the reason?

I felt my eyes grow heavy and an outrageous yawn escaped my lips. Deciding wondering why my salary wasn't paid to me wouldn't do, I went to bed.

I stepped out of my house struggling with the key trying to lock the door. I stood by the road doubting I had enough time to wait for the bus. I glanced at my wrist watch before trying to cover some distance on foot.