Chapter Nine

Matthews POV
The minute she mentioned that he turned to violence I lost it. My heart shattered for her and my anger boiled. I kept my face set in stone and tensed my jaw tight. I didn't want to hit the rails I wanted to be there for her the best I could but hearing this was so hard but I guess it was even harder for her to tell me.
The pain on her face and the tears streaming down killed me. I hated seeing her this way and I hated knowing that she had been through such a hard time.
"Lola, what did you receive?"
She handed me the piece of paper that she'd dropped on the floor.
I read the words
'I hope you've missed me'
"There's not a chance on this earth that he'll come anywhere near you...I promise you that from the bottom of my heart Lola. Come here"
She buries her head in my chest, I feel her take heavy breaths and I take that as she's all cried out.
A short while later she's asleep and I decide to make some phone calls and set some better security up before I take her to bed. I want someone with Lola at all times and the house guarded 24/7. There is no chance anyone will touch a single hair on her head.

Lola's POV
I stir from my sleep in our bed and not on the sofa where I originally fell asleep and see Matthew in his study in deep thought looking through what seems to be a lot of paper work.
"Hey beautiful, you're awake...how you feeling"
"I'm okay, still a little shook up but I'm fine how can I not be when I've got you"
He stood up and came to sit next to me.
"You'll always have me...I've been working on getting the house guarded 24/7 and I think you need a personal body guard. That's around whenever I'm not. I can't risk you being by yourself oh and I've got a midwife coming round in about an hour to do a proper check over on you...you passing out, the stress I want to make sure the baby's okay"
He's always been such a worrier, and even more so now I'm carrying his child.

The midwife came and told us the baby was fine and extremely healthy which made us both sigh with relief.

I'm now currently stood in our gorgeous kitchen calming myself down after everything that's happened. I know I'll be okay, Matthew will make sure of that. And now I know our baby is okay I feel so relived and happy. Matthew strolls into the kitchen and lazily puts his arms around my waist.
"Lets go out for dinner tonight, have some us time." he suggests.
"you mean like a date night?" I look up at him, a smile playing on my lips. We've not had a date night in so long and I think it's so needed after what we've just been through.
"I mean exactly like a date night, how about your favourite Italian place? We've not been there in a while."
"That's like 40 minutes away and it'd be impossible to get a table booked in such short notice."
"The perks of being engaged to Mr Pierce" he smirks.
"You're a goof" I laugh at him as I wander off to get a nice hot shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

He must of pulled some strings but he did it. We're at my favourite Italian on one of the best tables over looking the city nightlife. And I have a genuine smile on my face. Yes, we've had a scare but I will not let it stop us being happy and being able to do things that we enjoy doing.
Matthew pours the alcohol free rosé into our flutes and holds his up.
"Cheers to us, our future, our wedding, our baby and our love for one another. I'll be forever grateful to you Lola for giving me things I never knew I even wanted. Love, a baby, marriage. You've given my life purpose and I will spend the rest of my life loving you unconditionally"
His little speech brought tears to my eyes. I clink my glass with his.
"I love you Matthew Pierce" I say right before I kiss him.
The night was perfect and was topped off with some very R rated scenes in the car on the way home. Now I understand why Matthew didn't want to drive and for him to get his driver to take us and collect us. Luckily for us he brought the limo with a tinted screen separating us and the driver. The antics also carried on to the bedroom with a night full of naughtiness.

I woke up alone. The bed was cold and empty and I hated it. I check my phone for the time and noticing its only 4:42am. Where the hell is Matthew? I climb out of bed, maybe he's gone to get some water. I make my way to the kitchen and hear noises as I'm making my way down the stairs and instantly feel better knowing he's here. But as I near the kitchen doorway I notice blood. My heart races and I instantly panic. I try and calm myself down, perhaps Matthew has just cut himself. As I walk in to the kitchen further I notice it's smeared on the floor in a trail to behind the kitchen island. I proceed to walk further until Matthews blood stained feet come into view. His lifeless body lay in a pool of blood. I scream out hysterically and wake up to the sound of my own voice screaming, sat upright and in a cold sweat.
"Hey hey hey, what's wrong? Shhhh" he says as he grabs he and pulls me in close. I'm hysterically crying now and feel so relieved.
It felt so real...
"What happened?"
I'm too hysterical to even talk I just shake my head and try muster out "please just hold me" between ragged breaths.
"I will, I'm not going anywhere" he says stroking my hair.

I didn't get to sleep after that but being in Matthews arms made me feel safe again.