14

(JEANINE)

I stay with Lawrence for a few hours, sitting with Adam. I look up at the clock to see it reads 11:43pm.

Adam gets up, ready to leave but I grab his wrist. "Stay... Please,"

I stare deeply into his dark eyes which read me like a book - scanning along the words, page by page.

He moves back and sits beside me. "It's late,"

"But I'm sleeping here, no matter how uncomfortable it is for me. I am doing this for my sister." I scowl at him. "You staying then?"

He sighs. "Might as well- wait."

"What?"

"I can somehow communicate to Lawrence."

I lean close to him. "How comes? Is it something to do with your powers? Relationship?"

He shakes his head. "I can appear in her thoughts because... Well... Have you heard of the Phoenix and Dragon legend?"

I tell him that I have heard of the name but no one ever told me the legend.

"Well... The Dragon is "yang" while Phoenix is "yin", and they complement each other in creating yin-yang balance to harvest successful matrimonial bliss. Lawrence is the Phoenix. I am the Dragon. Between them both is the balance. And the balance means-"

"Yeah, I get it." I say. "So you can communicate with her now?"

"I'll try," and he closes his eyes, resting himself then he zones out.

As he is unconscious, I grab Anne's diary from the chair which I sit on. I open the book and I flicker through the pages and I read through it.

"Not long now. I will not regret it.
My beautiful daughter's eyes glimmered in the moonlight as I ran out, cradling my child, sheltered her under my raincoat as rain pattered onto my shoulders.
She didn't cry at least once, not even when I layed her on the concrete. Instead, she placed a hand on my cheek, giving me a confused look.
I stared at her, raindrops rolling down my cheeks like tears. I move her hand off my cheek and I walk away from her and that's when she says, "Mummy?"
I continue to walk away from the babbling child.
"Mummy?"
"I wanted to kill her but this is the most passive way possible..."

*

I stand in front of 23 Eastwood Drive alongside Steven.

"This is the only chance we can finally kill her," he says, pressing his hand on my shoulder. I want to shake it off but then I look at him.

I can hear the familiar voices talking to each other in the house. So I knock on the door three times.

No one responded.

So I knock again with three pounds.

And again.

Again...

"Is that Lawrence Anne Holloway, I hear?" I question as I press my ear against the door. And that's when the voices die down. I hammer against the oak door once more but no answer.