18

(JEANINE)

Ever since I sent Lawrence off with Lily, I couldn't believe I finally got her back.

Yet I felt a tinge of guilt rush through my bloodstream. I literally forced her to join my side and that is not how I should have done it.

But it was the only way to get her away from Anne before anything crucial happened to her.

But it was the wrong decision.

She had found her.

Now she is looking for her once more.

I told Cillian but he didn't care. He told me to continue with my job...

And so I did.

We march out in our groups, single file. I can sense that Lawrence is fueled with confidence but I am quite scared.

Not because of the war but because what if I lose Lawrence or Viola in this fight.

The night wind brushes against our faces. All of us are wearing black with a stripe of crimson red down our right arm sleeve, onto our right leg of our trousers. Some have a red strip of leather for a sling (for their weapons) to wrap around their shoulder.

I held my gun close to me, ready to fire when it is time to attack.

I didn't think we'd get this far.

Viola walks up to us and smiles at us. In her hand, she is holding a pocket lighter, thumb on the trigger.

"I want to thank you all for accompanying me through this journey. I want to congratulate the Descendants who agreed to the terms for negotiation and all. Especially Toboni who arranged for Lawrence and Adam to join in."

Lawrence gives me a look which indicates that she doesn't know what's going on and I agree with her too.

"But with group five, only two people are together. But Lawrence pretty much adds up to being two people because of her strength and power. So we shall bid each other the best of luck and may the Phoenix guide you." Viola walks over to her brother and hugs him."I love you..."

"So do I... If I go... Remember that I'm always with you..."

Davy slips away from his sister and joins in with Nicholas and the new guy, Jonathan.

We stare at the night sky and the stars sparkles softly in the blackness and the moon along them is blood red.

The lunar eclipse...

The war is about to begin.

I frown at the morbid thought of losing my sister and my girlfriend. They are the reason why I want to survive.

Not for the civilians but for them two.

They matter to me the most.

She nods and together, we charge down the road, splitting into different directions in Central Elizabeth. I see Lawrence follow the crowd so I pull her in by her collar... A bit too far. We turn and my back is pressed against a building wall and she is supporting her body by the wall.... And her hands. She is in front of me. She is so close.