Scarlegot - Markicest

OLD WRITING

___

"Please-- no-- don't take her! Scarlet!"

There were flames. Blood. Soldiers shouted and horses cried out. The enemies held the king back, pointing swords at him as he struggled. The leader of the miscreants—masked—smirked, keeping a terrified girl in his arms.

"My little girl—please—goddammit, unhand her!!"

The man smirked through the mask and struck the king across the face, making the girl in his arms cry.

"Let. Scarlet--"

Markos gasped like a fish out of water, sitting up in bed. Sweat rolled down his forehead as he panted, clutching his heart and glancing around the dark room.

"Scarlet," he whispered, rushing out of bed and slipping on his robe. He hurried down to his daughter's chambers, peering through the heavy wooden door. A heavy sigh left his lips as he saw a girl curled up peacefully in the covers, the reddish candlelight highlighting the milky skin of her face.

"Thank God," he breathed, closing the door and leaning against it, running his hands down his face. A tug at his robes momentarily startled him, and he exhaled when he saw a little girl by his feet.

"Ah, my little Pearl," the king breathed, hoisting her up and into his sheltering arms. "What are you doing out of bed?"

"I sensed distress from your chambers, Papa." Her beady black eyes glittered, silky white hair falling over his little shoulders. She tilted her head. "Was it the nightmares again?"

Markos glanced away from his youngest daughter, breaths still heavy from the shock. "Yes, my dear," he admitted. He gave a small smile to the little girl. "But it's all fine now." The king pressed a light kiss to Pearl's cheek before he set her down."Now off to bed, young lady."

Pearl hummed, staring up at her father. "I will sleep with Scarlet," she softly said, nodding. "So you won't worry, Papa."

The king gratefully smiled at her concern, chuckling and ruffling her hair. "Alright. Sweet dreams, my dear."

"As to you, Papa."

The little girl headed into her older sister's room, and Markos sighed as he remained against the wall.

I have to keep them safe.

***

The three royals-- the king with his two daughters-- sat at the grand table for breakfast, eating crumpets and truffles and sipping on milk or tea. Pearl, whose feet swung above the floor, was staring at her father. The king had an occupied look on his face as he twirled a chocolate truffle in his hand.

Pearl blinked.

"You had the nightmare again, Papa," she said. Not a question.

Markos glanced up, snapping out of his trance.

"What is it, dear?"

At this, the silent Scarlet looked up with the same hazel eyes as her father, looking between the two.

"The dream. You had it again." Pearl criss-crossed her legs-- something that wasn't acceptable for their posture-- but the king took no notice.

"I. . ." Markos sighed, knowing he couldn't lie to the gifted girl. "Yes, I did." He looked at Pearl with a smile. "But I wasn't as worried thanks to you, dear." He was mentioning their interaction last night.