Chapter Five: Condolences and Disappearances.

Hermione POV

I watch worriedly as those three people each spoke to Nico. I could see him get even paler, shaking. While the teenage boy is speaking into his ear in a slight whisper, but still so we could hear, Nico gradually sunk onto his knees like there was a heavy load on his shoulders.

"It should have been you." The cruel looking man, who looks a lot like Nico states bluntly. What did that mean? What were the others talking about as well? My mind was reeling. I watch him as he walks out of the room, swaying like he's drunk.

Professor Lupin hesitantly let's the next person go. It's Harry. In hind sight, it was a bad idea to continue the lesson, especially since a dementor was now hovering in the room. Professor Lupin steps in front, the boggart changing into a glowing whit sphere.

"Ridikulus!" Lupin casts the spell tiredly. "Class dismissed."

We all rush out of the room. I run though the halls for close to a half hour at least before I see a dark shape on the ground against the wall in a secluded hall. It's Nico. He's sitting with his back against the wall and his head tucked into his knees like he's trying to disappear.

"Nico?" I call out him softly. His head whips up and I see him hastily wipe his face.

"Yes Hermione? What do you want?" He tries to sound emotionless as usual, but his voice wavers. I sit on the floor next to him, scooting closer to him until we're almost touching, but not since I know he's not fond of touch.

"Are you alright?" I ask him quietly, concerned.

He scowls, but it doesn't look like it'd scare mobs of children like it usually does. "Of course. It was just a silly boggart. I'm fine."

"Nico, it simulates your worst fear. How could you be fine after it for so long. I'm sorry no one stopped it."

He stands up suddenly, still swaying. "Yeah, well- well-" He sounds angry and I stand up as well. Even with him being one of the shorter boys, he's still taller than me. "Well I am fine! And besides, if they wanted to stop it, they could have! Instead they watched the show! You too!"

He points an accusing finger at me. I frown and sigh softly. "Nico, come here." I wrap him in a hug and he tenses.

"What- what're you doing?" He sounds more confused than angry now.

"It's affection Nico." Next thing I know, I've pulled back from the hug and quickly consider before just taking the risk.

I lean forward and kiss him.

He freezes. When I pull away, he looks almost conflicted. "Why?"

"Because I like you, you dense git." I smack my forehead.

He blink a couple times in confusion. "No... no. You'll get over it. I'm sorry Hermione, but no." He pats my shoulder before turning and walking away, in the direction of his dorms.

I feel heartbroken. I know it was probably just a silly crush, but I can't help it. I feel a few tears slip down my face before running away.

Nico POV

I reach my bed and lay down. That was a very awkward minute of my life. I rub my face exasperated. Should I break it to her, or...

No. The world couldn't have changed that much. I couldn't tell anyone. I scowl. How in the world was I supposed to deal with this? Gods know...

As if on cue, I'm no longer laying on my bed. Instead, I'm lying on the floor of my Father's throne room. I hastily get up and bow. I shudder at seeing him so soon after the boggart incident.

It should have been you.

"Rise, Nico." He looks troubled. "I am afraid of a... quest that has come up. You are the only one able to do this task."

I nod. "Yes father. What is the task?"

"You..." He takes a deep breath. "You must travel through Tartarus to find and seal the doors of death."

My eyes widen and I bow again. "Yes father. Of course. When do I leave?"

"Now."

Hermione POV

Nico isn't at supper that night. I sigh and play with my food, frequently glancing towards the Slytherin table. Harry and Ron share looks to each other and towards me, like they're trying to figure out what's wrong.

It's probably my fault he's not here. How could I have made such a mistake? There's next to no chance of recovering our friendship now that I've made it all awkward. Good going me.

Ö

He doesn't show up at breakfast the next day either. I frown. Surely he can't go without food that long.

Ö

According to Dumbledore, who we questioned after not seeing him for a week, he's away on 'family business'. I hope he returns soon so we can sort this out.

Ö

It's been a month. I'm starting to get a little worried.

Ö

It's been five months. I'm starting to forget his voice. Now all three of us are worried, wondering where on earth Nico was, and why he's not sending any owls.

Ö

Nico POV

Cupid. Of all the gods, it had to be Cupid. As he taunts me, I try to think up excuses. Hermione? No. Annabeth. "Annabeth, she-"

"Still hiding."

Ö

Hermione POV

Its been almost eight months now. We're staring to doubt he's ever coming back.

Oh Nico....

OH MY GOSHNESS! ANOTHER CHAPTERRRR???? THREE IN TWO DAYS!

Wow.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this.

Peace out Matchsticks!

Love,
Sammy