Chapter Seventeen: Only Like the Fifth Strangest Thing

Art by StarlitBawka

"We're not confunded!"

I jerk awake, eyes blurry and ears ringing. I rub my eyes, trying to clear them. When did I fall asleep? Why is it so bright? My eyes close again, trying to block it this obscene light.

"My apologies Poppy, but I need a word with Mr. Potter, Mr. di Angelo, and Miss. Granger." That was Dumbledore. Why was he in my dorm? "I have just been talking to Sirius Black-"

Sirius Black... I open my eyes and bolt up, my stomach lurching at the sudden movement. The nurse is instantly at me, shoving a piece of chocolate into my mouth. I chew it, now seeing where I lie in the hospital wing.

"Miss. Granger HOLD your tongue."

I swallow the chocolate and try to keep up with the conversation, but quickly give up and try to organize my memories instead. Lupin is a werewolf, Pettigrew escaped, and the dementors attacked.

"Harry, Nico, come here!"

Without really thinking about it, I follow Hermione's instruction, sliding off the bed and walking over to her, letting her wrap a thin golden chain around my neck.

"Wait, what are we doing?" My question is too late. I feel like I'm being quickly pulled backwards, colours and shapes flying past rapidly.

The empty entrance hall forms around us, and before I can recover myself, Hermione drags us into a broom cupboard.

"What- how- Hermione what happened?"

"What Harry said." For once I agree with Potter.

"We've gone back in time." Hermione whispers, lifting the chain from our necks.

"Nico, pinch me."

"Gladly."

Hermione smacks our shoulders. "Shh! Listen! Someone's coming! I think- I think it might be us!"

She listens with her ear to the door. "Footsteps across the hall... Yes, I think it's us going down to Hagrid's."

After a few more moments of listening, Hermione sits down on a bucket, defeatedly admitting that she doesn't know what Dumbledore wanted us to do.

"There must be something that happened around now that he wants us to change." Harry reasons. "What happened? We were walking down to Hargid's three hours ago."

"This is three hours ago, and we are walking down to Hagrid's." Says Hermione. "We just heard ourselves leaving."

"Dumbledore just said we could save more than one innocent life."

Innocent life...

"What innocent life was lost at Hagrid's?" My thoughts were still muddled, but the name came to mind. "Buckbeak. We're gonna save Buckbeak."

"Nico that's it! Ah, I could kiss you!" Harry exclaims in relieved excitement.

"What? Why?" I blink in surprise and shock.