Chapter Eleven: An Angry Puppy

Picture drawn by LeoValdezTV

I turn away, wanting, no, needing to leave.

Behind me, I could hear Ron struggling with Scabbers the rat, who was wiggling around.

"Ouch! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet."

I hear some quiet, soft steps off to the side, turning my head, looking cautiously for whatever was approaching. A pair of wide, yellow eyes were creeping closer. I grip the sword pendant on the chain around my neck, staring down the creature. It was small, I could tell, and I was about to draw my sword when I hear Hermione moan.

"Crookshanks!" So it was the cat. "No, go away Crookshanks! Go away."

The cat did not leave.

"Scabbers! No!" The rodent had managed to wiggle out from Ron's grasp, scrambling away. Crookshanks bounded after him, Ron giving chase to both animals.

"Ron!" Hermione called after him.

Something bad was going to happen. I can feel it.

I stand there, watching the two run after their friend, the bright moon and my enhanced night vision allowing me to be able to see them. A loud thud sounds out, my brain barely registering it before running after them.

Ron had Scabbers secured back in his pocket when I catch up. Just as I am about to feel relief, there is a pounding of huge paws behind me. I turn around just as an enormous, jet-black dog leaps and tackles Harry, knocking me over in the process. It bounds forward, fastening its teeth around Ron's outstretched arm, dragging him away.

I get up from where the dog had knocked me, only to get struck down once more by a heavy, swinging object hitting my chest. From the sounds of it, Harry and Hermione haf also been hit.

Harry illuminates his wand with a quick "Lumos."

This is bad. We had been lead right to the the base of the Whomping Willow.

The only part of Ron (who was being dragged through a space in the roots of the tree) we can see was his leg which he's using to hold on to one of the roots. A loud crack rang out and he falls limp. His leg had been broken. It was a good effort though. Admirable. I eye the swing branches, faintly hearing the conversation that was happening.

Ron could easily be killed by that dog.

I can't let that happen.

I break out at a sprint towards the tree, sliding under a branch that tries to crush me, and into the tunnel. I can hear Harry yell,"Nico!"

"I'm alright!" I call back, peering down into the inky abyss. I can only faintly hear Ron's fading yells as I make my way to the tunnel, crouching. After several minutes, a loud meow comes from behind me. Crookshanks squeezes his way past me, covering my side and cat fur. I glance back, still moving. Harry and Hermione have caught up with me.

After a while, I pull myself out of the tunnel and into an old, decrepit room with boarded-up Windows, peeling wallpaper, and smashed furniture. I help the other two up. They look around fearfully.

"Harry, Nico," Hermione whispers, eyes wide. "I think we're in the Shrieking Shack."

I look at her. "The what?"

Harry looks around. "It's a supposedly haunted building in Hogsmead, but..." he looks at a chair that had chunks torn out of it as if something had been clawing at it. "Ghosts didn't do that."

Something moves upstairs, the ceiling creaking. Hermione has a death grip on Harry's arm, and I can tell it's getting uncomfortable. He gives her a look and she nods, letting go of him and instead latching onto me. I could tell why Harry was uncomfortable. She was strong.

There was a trail on the floor where the dust has been wiped away as if something large had been dragged on it.

"Turn off your lights," I whisper to the two of them, holding my wand out just in case.

"Nox," They say in unison, extinguishing their wands. We quietly creep upstairs, towards the only open door from which a deep purr came from. A low groan is heard.

Ron.

Harry kicks the door wider open and I fight the urge to facepalm. So much for being subtle. Inside, Crookshanks is curled up on a a four poster bed, purring. Ron is on the floor beside him, clutching his obviously badly broken leg.

Harry and Hermione rush to him.

"Ron! Are you okay?"

"Where's the dog?"

"Not a dog." Ron grits his teeth in pain. "It's a trap-"

"He's the dog! He's..."

"An animagus." I finish, looking around just as the door closes with a snap.

I had spent plenty of time around corpses, believe you me, and if I hadn't been able to feel his life force, I might've mistaken him for one. This must be Sirius Black, the annoying murderer.

Black points a wand, Ron's, at them, casting "Expelliarmus!" and relieving us of our wands, somehow catching them. Now that just wasn't fair. I scowl.

"I thought you'd cone help your friend!" His voice is hoarse from disuse. "Your father would've done the same thing for me..."

I mostly tune him out, focusing on Harry, as if trying to mentally get him not to do anything. He looks murderous. He starts forward, but to my surprise, both Ron and Hermione hold him back. Hermione trying to dissuade him, Ron speaking directly to the convict.

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us, too!" He's standing now, looking ready to pass out.

"Lie down," Black's voice is quiet now. "You will damage that leg even more."

"Did you hear me?" Ron is barely keeping upright, clinging to his friend. His voice is weak, but determined. "You'll have to kill all four of us."

I was impressed by his sudden bravery, but I had no time to think of that. I step in from of the trio. I slip out a small knife that I had sewn lightly into my jeans. I growl at him. "All four of us, starting with me. If you can."

Black grins widely. "There'll be only one murder tonight."

They talk for a moment longer. I don't listen, focusing on making sure Sirius doesn't try anything. I'm so focused on Black, that I don't notice Harry until he shoves past me.

Lunging forward towards the man who sold out his parents, all those years ago.

Word count: 1078

Wow! I put out a chapter! It is largely thanks to Roses_for_Roman who was an absolute sweetheart and lent me his book to reference from. As said above, LeoValdezTV drew the lovely little Nico up top!

ANNOUNCEMENT
If you would like to create a drawing of NICO DI ANGELO for this and upcoming books, I have made a discord server for that! I would love to see what you guys draw of our Ghost King! You can find the invite link on my conversations board!

I hope to update much more frequently now that I have an easy reference!

Peace out Matchsticks!

Love,
Sammy