Chapter Eight: An uncomfortable interrogation

Hermione POV

Nico was worrying me. He almost always wears his robes now, and when he doesn't his clothes hang on him like they're two sizes too big. He seems too skinny for a thirteen year old boy. And he's jumpier than before. Before, a mountain could explode and he'd probably be indifferent. Now though, if you talk too loud or suddenly he'll flinch.

It's like he went through hell and back.

I walk towards the great hall for breakfast a bit earlier than usual, a goal in mind. Nico was known for coming to breakfast early so I'll wait for him to show up.

To my surprise, however, when I enter I see him already at his table, the only other people in the hall being a few Ravenclaws. Nico is staring at a grape in his hand, as if trying to will it away. I nervously approach him, smoothing out my hair best I can.

"Nico?" I ask, making him jump and look up at me, his guard having been down. "Can we talk?"

"Uh. Sure I guess." He plops the grape in his mouth, swallowing with apparent difficulty. "What's up?"

"I have some questions..."

"Okay?"

"And I want you to answer them honestly." I finish, giving him a look.

He's silent for a moment before nodding ever so slightly. "Fine. Go ahead."

I take a breath, honestly not expecting him to agree so fast. "Okay. First question, where have you been?"

He takes a moment to think before listing off on his fingers. "America, Italy, Greece, Rome, Portugal, other places. I really don't feel like listing them all."

My mind fumbles for a moment. "Uh, why? Why did you leave? And why so many places?"

"Already told you. Family matters. Personal." He takes a sip of water, acting chill with my little interrogation.

"Okay... Why specifically the day after the boggart and our... Kiss?" I ask sheepishly, face red. I can't help it. I thought I had gotten over him but then he shows back up and I get all messed up again.

He chokes on his water a bit. He coughs, trying to regain his composure. I almost feel guilty for bringing it up.

"Because that was the day I had to leave. I can't exactly argue with adults." He says adults like they'd kill him for disagreeing.

"But why didn't you tell us that you were leaving."

"Because it was very sudden." He looks irritated.

"But why did you have to leave so suddenly? Surely-"

"BECAUSE I HAD TO!" He yells at me, standing up suddenly. I shiver. The room feels colder. His glare is so dark that I feel I will be swallowed by it.

His outburst drew the attention of the students that had been slowly trickling into the hall, quieting their chatter. Nico seems to notice and looks around at them.

"I have to go."

"Nico wait-"

"Out of my way." He shoulders his way past me, storming out of the hall.

I had a bad feeling about this.

Ah! I was trying to find inspiration to write when I saw that I already had a partially written chapter... So.... Here you go!

Love you Matchsticks!

Love,
Sammy