Chapter Six: In which, a Predict- Wait, what? Forget that first part.

Hermione POV

I get ready in the morning as I usually do, though I can't shake the feeling that something is off. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. This day was no different than the last few months. Though, they haven't been exactly normal either, what with that murderer on the loose.

Harry and Ron meet me in the common room to head down to the great hall for breakfast. As we sit down at the table, I notice how loud the hall is this morning, with excited and somewhat curious sounding chatter. I sigh and shake my head. Not important.

Out of habit, I glance up at the Slytherin table, not expecting anything to be different. I gasp and drop my fork, drawing the attention of the boys.

"What is it?" Ron asks.

"You okay Hermione?" Harry questions.

"Look." I point to the Slytherin table.

Sitting there, with no warning, was Nico di Angelo. He was tapping his hand on the table and kept glancing around nervously. He looked awful.

I stand up, heading over there to say hi to him after all these months, and to ask him where in the world he has been all this time. When I reach him, the boys following behind me, he's looking the opposite direction.

I tap his shoulder to get his attention. He reaches around and grabs my wrist fast as lightning. Turning to face me, he presses his wand to my throat, like he was expecting an attack.

"Nico! It's us!" I tell him frantically.

He blinks a few time like he's trying to focus his vision on me.

"Hermione? Oh." He lowers his wand. "What do you want?"

"What do I want? You disappeared or months without warning! Where have you been?"

"Oh. Uh, family business. Personal stuff. Really important." He looks put on the spot, like he hasn't been expecting this question. I take a moment to examine him. From what I can see of his skin that isn't covered by his robes, he has more scars. On his face, neck, and hands. As well as some not yet healed cuts. He keeps glancing around like he's looking for threats.I frown.

"Are you okay mate?" Ron asks, Harry nodding along.

He jumps, like he forgot we were here. "Yes. Yes I'm fine. Just... taking in the sights. Haven't been here for a while. I should go. Class soon probably."

He stands up to leave but Harry grabs his shoulder. "Nico, you're sure you're fine?"

Nico rips his hand off his shoulder and shoves him away. "Yes! I said I'm fine! Just stop bothering me about it!" He yells at us before storming out of the hall.

The three of us exchange glances. One thing is for sure.

Nico is definitely not fine.

I am on a roll!

Yeah!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this tiny chapter.

Love,
Sammy