Chapter 1

"Dad was so much cooler about this job opportunity then she was."

"Mom knew that they were desperate."

Ophelia's mother scowls, her face across the bright screen  while her daughter watched from the other side

Ophelia's mother scowls, her face across the bright screen  while her daughter watched from the other side. The mother's face couldn't have looked any more infuriated as she asked, ¨Did you get accepted for the job?¨

¨So what if I did?¨ Ophelia groaned giving her mother an attitude that she only felt safe enough to do with her mother on the mainland, far far away from being close enough to give her a belt whooping. In the background Owen Grady  was looking through files chuckling softly.  Hearing his laugh Ophelia whirled her seat around to mouth¨What the fuck dude?¨" at the snitch.

Ophelia's mother soon started screeching seeing the foul words her daughter mouthed,¨If you don't start behaving Ophelia! You're coming home! You're not going into any cage filled with any reptile! Extinct or not!" She threatened.

'You'd think after  having moved out and living on my own for at least four years she'd actually treat me like I knew what I was doing.'

Ophelia sighed making a 'blah blah blah motion' with her hand in what she hoped was off camera.

She hoped wrong.

¨Ophelia Grady! How dare you-!¨

Ophelia grimaced and put on the cheekiest smile she could manage before speaking bluntly, "Mom no offense but I'm pretty sure that you can't just pull me away from my job. The job I just recently got hired for. I'm a vet here." She explained to her slight annoyance in her tone. "Why do you have to be such a wet blanket?" That was a mistake as Ophelia Grady's mom immediately began to yell making both Owen and Ophelia fall back off their chairs from the volume of their mother.

Out of pure reflex Ophelia pushed the big red button which made Owen look at his little sister in horror. "You hung up on mom..."

"Yeah I'm so glad I'm more then ten thousand miles away from her right about now. Damn, Christmas is gonna be a bitch." Ophelia groaned pulling herself back up on her seat fixing her hair. "Dad was so much cooler about this job opportunity then she was."

Of course Ophelia was well aware that her father had only been 'cool' about it because she didn't give him a chance to say anything else about it.

Owen pressed his lips together with an expression that Ophelia knew meant he agreed with their mother." Mom knew that they were desperate. Why else would they hire someone straight out of college?" Owen snapped and watching the way his sister's eyes narrowed and was quick to sweet talk her and prevent her from tackling him, He didn't have the heart to tell her that their father damn near blew a gasket when he found out that she was working there.

Or that he automatically took her side since Mom was against it.

"You're a damn good vet Phil but... I don't even get as close as often as you do with them."