Chapter 8

Ophelia, her glare harsh and Claire flinched , especially when Ophelia hissed ,"I need you to take a long look in that mirror Claire. Because of your ignorance, I have lost Klaus and may as well have lost Hel. You've driven my child to insanity and I will never forgive you for that. Hopefully you make some right choices before anyone you care about gets hurt." Before Ophelia pushed past her and hitting her shoulder against Claire's as she followed Owen. Hurt coursed through Ophelia's veins.

The Grady Siblings didn't bother heading all the way back to the bungalow. Owen had his reasons but Ophelia knew Barry would be waiting for her with a box of brownies he made.

 How could she even think to look at Barry when she knew that the Rex that she had helped raise was on the loose and there was nothing she could do because Ophelia... Ophelia never decided to check if she was actually alive. A year of Ophelia basically ignoring her baby. 

If Ophelia tried to address Hel would Hel even recognize the Ophelia?

Probably not.

"Hey, you studied a lot of biology right?" Owen's question dragged Ophelia out of her grief and possibly out of his own thoughts since Ophelia had explained to him her entire history with the Indominus Rex. It was a lot for him to process honestly.  I glanced at him taking out the most of the oil from my hair in an effort to avoid the strange looks from the parents around us. Luckily one of the in-keeps knew me and was willing to allow Owen and I a room to shower in. Owen showered first and then I did while throwing our clothes in the wash.

It was kind of a funny feeling and brought back summer camp memories when we both had to find a way to keep Mom and Dad from discovering we had disobeyed their orders and went to a party. Unfortunately for Owen, his eleven year old sister ended up doused in beer and he looked like a horrible horrible influence of a twenty year old brother, especially considering he was only with me for two months before being shipped off again.

I promised not to snitch on him to Mom and Dad if he promised to help cover for me in the future. Owen was the type to get into trouble and then panic trying to avoid getting caught with a 50% chance of being caught. I was more methodical, so if I got in trouble... I got in trouble good because I laid out contingency plans and back ups and covers that Owen joked that I should have joined him in the Navy.

"Nah Owen. Phil doesn't handle orders very easily. Navy can't handle someone who can break the rules and show authority she's her own boss."

"Whatcha tryna say about me Pops?" Owen turned slightly red as Dad ruffled Owen's hair.

"You son are who we want to go to if we want a job done. But I'm also saying your sister's special son. Not everyone has a Dino-mite sister."

"DAD! Enough with that pun!"

"Phil!" Owen's snapping fingers snapped me out of the memory of a eight year old mind. "Do you remember a Biology course with genes? I had that class in high school and you ended up helping me with it?" I let out a snort. Of course I remembered that. It was a tutoring session of Owen with his friends and I showed that even at six years old I knew more about science then a group of cocky teenagers did.

At least until they opened up an English, Math or History book.

"Yeah why?" I waved away Owen's hand. I'd be a fool not to remember that.

"Well, why do you think it was able to camouflage?" Owen asked me and I released a frustrated exhale.

I gave up on trying to get the rest of the oil stains off me and sat down next to my brother my face scrunching together. "Well, as strange as this sounds...I'm guessing that they used some of the same DNA in me as in her. I had a hard time growing so I know they could have used Cuttlefish genes to help her withstand an accelerated growth rate. However Cuttlefish are able to change color through the chromophores" Owen blinked at me a few times and I allowed him to sit in the small silence to absorb what I just said.