TWO

With an excited feeling in my stomach, I sat up in bed and brushed my hair out of my face. I looked to my left and saw that Kasey was still asleep. I quietly got out of bed and walked to the sink, splashing my face with cold water. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes before I greeted the small human being inside of me.

Today, I was going to see Minho again. Teresa had told me that she'd pick me up before breakfast so I could spend the day with him. 

A soft knock on the door caught my attention and the next second, it opened. 

Teresa peered her head inside. When she saw Kasey was still sleeping, she motioned for me to follow her. I stepped outside and inhaled the cold air. "Why wasn't I allowed to stay with him when we got here?" I asked as I walked behind her. That was the question that had been on my mind ever since I got here. 

"That's not up to me to answer," Teresa plainly stated. 

"But you do know the answer," I urged. 

Teresa sighed before turning around. "We've been experimenting on the both of you differently for the past few days," was all she said and I got an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

We arrived at a different section of the building and Teresa knocked on the door. "Minho, can I enter? I have someone here for you," she called. No response was heard but Teresa unlocked the door anyway. She motioned for me to enter and I pushed the door open. 

I found Minho sitting on his bed, his hollow eyes were focussed on the floor. He didn't look up when I closed the door behind me. "Minho?" I asked softly and his head shot up. His eyes widened when his gaze locked with mine. 

"Leah?" he breathed and I nodded. He jumped to his feet and didn't hesitate to wrap me in a warm embrace. Tears immediately pooled my eyes as I clung to his neck. "You're okay," he said softly and I heard the lump in his throat. 

"I'm okay, Minho, I'm fine. What about you?" I pulled back and held his face in my hands. His cheeks were hollow and the light that had once been in his eyes had left and made room for a dark haze. 

He sighed. "I hate it in here, Leah. I'm losing my freaking mind in this room." He removed my hands from his face and sat down on the edge of his bed. I lowered myself next to him and grabbed his hand in mine, placing it on my leg. 

"We're going to get out of here, Minho, I know that. Thomas, Newt, Frypan, I'm sure they're doing everything they can to find us," I said softly. 

Minho chuckled sarcastically. "I want to believe you, I really do, but what you're talking about, is impossible. This is Wicked we're talking about, not the Right Arm, not Jorge and Brenda, Wicked. We're probably in the most secure facility in the world," Minho said and I nodded softly. 

"I know, but I have to keep believing or else I'll go crazy." I lowered my head. A silence fell in the room and I looked around. Minho didn't have a roommate like I did. He only had a bed, a sink, and four walls. 

A knock was heard at the door and I looked up. Teresa entered after with a tray of breakfast. "I thought you'd be hungry." As if on cue, my stomach growled. 

Teresa placed the tray on the bed. "I don't want anything from you," Minho sneered and Teresa lowered her gaze before she left again. 

"Don't tell me that you haven't eaten anything since we got here," I said, worry lacing my voice. 

"I've only been eating the food that wasn't brought to me by that traitor," Minho spat. I nodded softly and stepped to the tray. I grabbed one of the bread rolls and held it out to Minho. "I told you-"

"I know what you told me, but I need you to eat. You look terrible, Minho." I pressed the roll in his hand. "Eat." 

He blew some air through his nose before taking a bite. "You're bossy, did you know that?" He smiled softly and I giggled. I sat down cross-legged on the floor. "How's the baby?" Minho asked. 

"They're fine, I think. I'm just scared out of my mind of what Wicked'll do to them." I blew out a breath. "I can't believe Thomas isn't here with me. It's his child as much as mine and he's missing all of it," I said. I averted my eyes and wrapped my arms around myself. "I guess I was so used to having him around me all the time that it just feels so void that he's not here." 

"Well, I don't know if it's much comfort but I'll be here. No matter what," Minho said. 

I smiled. "Thank you, Minho, I don't know what I would've done if I was all alone." 

"Are you also alone all the time?" he asked and I shook my head. 

"No, I have a roommate. Kasey," I replied. 

"Really? You get a roommate and I have to spend every second of the day surrounded by either nothing or doctors and scientists," Minho scoffed. 

"Maybe we can ask if you could move in with me and Kasey?" I suggested.

"If they would let us do that then why didn't they put us together in the first place?" Minho questioned. 

"Yeah, you're probably right." I sighed. "Teresa told me something on my way here," I spoke up after a few seconds. Minho raised a brow. "She said they've been performing different experiments on us." 

"Wh-What do you mean?"

"I think they're focussing on your blood but with me, they're aiming for the baby. I think."

"And you're scared." 

I glanced at him worriedly before nodding. I pushed myself off the floor. "You know, back in the Scorch, I told Thomas what my biggest fear is. Not the Grievers, not the Cranks, but having to live the rest of my life in one of these facilities. Having my baby in here, maybe even having to give them up to find this supposed cure," I spat, hugging my stomach. 

Minho got up as well and stood in front of me. He placed his hands on my shoulders, forcing me to look at him and said, "I can't make any promises that we'll get out of here, but know this, I won't stop protecting you and the kid. You're my best friend and you're family, Leah." 

I smiled softly before wrapping my arms around him. I was so caught up in the moment that neither of us heard the door open. The thing that brought me back to the real world was a sharp stinging pain in my shoulder. I moved to turn around but my consciousness left me and I fell to the floor.