TWENTY-ONE

I raised my gun at Janson who barged into the room. "Where are they?" he barked. 

"Wouldn't it be insanely stupid of me to tell you?" I cocked my head to the side, never lowering the gun.

"Now, Leah, come on. You've never even touched a gun. You couldn't shoot us even if you wanted to," he stated.

I let out a breath. "Yeah, you're right." I lowered the gun slightly and I saw how Janson regained his cocky attitude. That was why I loaded the gun and placed it against my temple. 

He chuckled. "You're not going to shoot yourself," he stated. 

"And spend the rest of my life in here? I'd rather be dead," I said through gritted teeth. 

Janson sighed. "You've got a baby inside of you. You wouldn't dare to pull the trigger." 

I took off the safety. "Try me." 

Janson raised his hands at me. 

"Here is how this is gonna go," I said threateningly. "You are going to let me through. If you or one of your men tries to follow me, there are two ways. Either I shoot them, or I'll shoot myself," I told them, stepping forward. "If someone touches me, I'll pull the trigger and you'll never find your stupid cure." I took a step forward. "Let me through," I repeated and Janson sighed before he stepped aside, letting me through. 

He turned to his men. "Leave her be, she won't make it out anyway." 

I decided to ignore him as I started walking backwards to keep Janson and his men in my view as I walked away. I safely reached the front door without anyone following me where I found Thomas, Minho, and Newt. The three of them drenched with water. I walked up to them but dropped the gun in the process as my eyes landed on Gally. 

Gally, who I watched die. 

"G-Gally?" I mumbled softly. 

He smiled at me. "Hey, Leah." 

"Oh my God," I breathed before I sprinted up to him to throw my arms around his neck. "You were dead. What happened?" I asked. 

"Long story, I'll tell you when we get the hell out of here," he said, wrapping his arms tightly around my shoulders, my stomach squashed between our bodies. 

"Okay, guys, that's enough." Thomas broke us apart and pulled me to his side. "You made it," he said softly. 

"Of course I did." I grinned proudly, gaining a laugh from him before he pulled me into a hug. 

"I love you so much," he whispered, pressing a kiss to my hair.

"I love you too," I said, pulling back from the hug. "We have to get going."

Thomas led our group to a place where we'd be temporarily hidden from Wicked's guards that passed by in vans and cars with sirens. 

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally remarked.

"How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked. 

"Maybe twelve blocks from here." Gally's reply was followed by a coughing fit from Newt. I got up and sped over to him. 

"How are you feeling? Can you handle twelve blocks?" I asked, immediately noticing the dark veins circling on his cheeks and neck. 

He sighed deeply, zipping down his jacket to get some fresh air. "I feel terrible," he chuckled humorlessly. "It's good to see you, though." He placed a caring hand on my shoulder and I patted it with my own.

"It's good to see you too, Newtie," I said with a small grin. He shook his head at my attempt to crack a joke but I detected a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

I went back to Thomas, Gally, and Minho. Thomas was taking off his drenched jacket. "How long has he been like this?" I asked softly. 

"Not too long. We'll make it if we hurry," Thomas replied. He got up and walked over to Newt. "Hey, Newt, c'mon, let's get going, buddy." 

Minho turned to Gally. "Why are you helping us? I put a spear through your chest." 

Gally shrugged. "Yeah, well, nobody's perfect." 

Minho glanced at me weirdly before I spotted Thomas heaving Newt off the ground. He stood unsteadily for a moment but Thomas was just in time to catch him before he fell to the floor again.

Minho sped up to them and heaved Newt's other arm around his neck. "Leah, let's go." Gally grabbed my arm and took me with him as we jogged after the boys over the deserted streets. 

Our attention was drawn to a loud explosion right at the entrance into the city. The ground shook and I nearly lost my balance. 

We were left speechless for a second. "They're supposed to take down Wicked, not the whole damn city," Gally muttered. 

"You know those guys?" I asked. 

"Old friends," Gally replied before we were forced to hide behind a low wall as Wicked's vehicles came speeding in our direction. Thomas peered around the corner and I did as well. I saw the guard putting up their bulletproof shields and weapons, pointing them in a direction that wasn't ours. 

"What are they waiting for?" I muttered but my question was answered as a loud explosion erupted from behind Thomas. A crowd of furious people who were all armed to the bone came sprinting in the direction of the Wicked guards who instantly opened fire.

"Stay low!" Thomas shouted over the havoc and he got to his feet, placing Newt's arm around his neck. Minho followed his lead and Gally made sure I was coming along as well. We sped across the street but there was no escaping from the chaos around us. The streets were taken by the army who attacked the city and the Wicked soldiers. Newt could barely stay on his feet so Thomas and Minho couldn't use any weapons. 

Since I didn't really have the qualification nor the experience to fire a gun, I was out as well so the only person who was able to defend the four of us was Gally. I think you can imagine that it was not enough to get us out of here.

We found a distant place where Thomas whipped out his walkie-talkie. "Brenda, are you there?" He called and quickly received a response. 

"Thomas, I'm here," she said. 

"We're not gonna make it," he replied.

"Wh-What are you talking about?" 

"Just take the others. Get everyone out while you still can." 

A short moment of silence fell. "No." 

"Brenda..." Thomas sighed and I heard the frustration in his voice. 

"I'm not leaving you, okay?" she said. "So forget it." 

"Even though you should?" 

Brenda didn't reply the next minute. 

"Thomas, don't worry, I'm coming to you!" 

Thomas's brows etched together. "What are you talking about?" 

"Our ride's here!" Brenda cheered. "Just look for us near the tunnels."