TWENTY-EIGHT

Thomas sat up. "We should probably head outside," he said. I nodded and took Aly from his arms. I gently placed her in the cradle and tucked her in. Thomas came up to me and wrapped his arm around my waist. I snuck my hand under his shirt and traced my fingers over the bandage that covered his bullet wound. 

"I'm happy you're okay," I whispered. He didn't say anything, and I knew he didn't know what to tell me. Instead, he pressed a kiss to my hair as we watched our daughter sleep soundly. 

"C'mon. We have to be back before she wakes up." I took his hand in mine and we exited the hut. We took a short trip through the camp before I spotted Minho. His eyes met mine and quickly shifted to his friend walking next to me. He swatted Kasey's arm, who was sitting next to him before getting to his feet. 

I glanced up at Thomas and found him blinking away tears. I swallowed and barely held back my own tears before I stepped up to Kasey, letting go of Thomas's hand. He tightly hugged Minho and I embraced Kasey. "I'm so sorry, Leah," she whispered and I squeezed her body, thanking her silently. 

I drew back and was immediately pulled into Frypan's chest. "It's so good to see you, Fry," I muttered. He didn't say anything back but I heard a sniff leave his nose. I slowly let go and Thomas pulled me to his side again, pressing a kiss to my hair. 

A tear slipped down my cheek and Minho let out a chuckle. "Come here." He pulled me and Thomas close and I took Kasey's arm, who took Brenda's and she involved Gally and Frypan. I was surrounded by my friends, my family, the people who I loved and wanted to spend the rest of my life with. 

"I love you guys," I whispered and I received a reply from everyone. 

We spent the rest of our afternoon together, talking, laughing, even crying. I picked up Aly from the hut when Vince told me he had heard her crying. It didn't take long for her to calm down again once she was with the others. I had learned quickly after she had been born that she didn't like being left alone unless she was asleep. 

I quickly nursed her and soon, she stopped crying and peacefully lay in my arms. Minho made funny faces to hopefully make her laugh as he hovered over her tiny body. I giggled and placed a kiss on her dark tufts of hair that resembled Thomas'. 

Gally sat down beside me, patting my knee. He leaned over to look at Aly and he smiled. She reached out and took his finger in her small hand. "You're a great mom, Leah. She's lucky to have you," he said softly. I smiled and shook my head. 

"No, we are lucky to have her. There's so much darkness in my life right now, she's my source of light," I replied and Gally sent me a small smile. A short silence fell. 

"Hey, Gally?" His head turned in my direction. "Do you remember what you told me before you... you know... died?" I softly asked.

Gally's eyes averted to the floor before he nodded softly. "Did you mean it?" I asked. 

He sighed and nodded shortly. "It was around the second year we were in the Glade. Alby threw a party to celebrate the new Greenie. You were so happy, so careless. I guess I just fell in love with that. But then Thomas arrived and I hated that you were so happy around him instead of me." I saw him swallow. "But here we are. I've never seen you this happy. I mean, you have a daughter." He motioned to Aly and my cheeks heated up.

"I'm so sorry, Gally. If I had known earlier-" 

"It's fine, don't worry about it. You're my friend now and I'm over it, trust me," he said, nodding affirmatively.

I wrapped one arm around his shoulders. "Ahw, look at that," I teasingly said. "Big, bad, mean Gally has feelings." He rolled his eyes and I let out a laugh. 

Vince came up to us. "You coming to join the party?" he asked. 

"Absolutely," I nodded and Thomas took Aly from me. I hooked my arms through Kasey's and Marissa's, who had eventually joined our group. Emily had become really good friends with Brenda and Gally. 

Vince took us to the centre of the camp and we quickly found a spot to sit. A bright bonfire was burning, lighting up the surrounding area. My daughter was lying on Thomas' legs as he was stroking her stomach with his hand. 

Vince stood up. "We've come a long way together," he spoke. "So many were sacrificed." I lowered my gaze as an image of Newt's smile flashed through my mind. Thomas sensed my switch of emotions and took my hand, holding it tightly. 

"So much to make this place possible," Vince continued. "Your friends." Frypan, who was sitting behind me, softly squeezed my shoulder and I patted his hand, sending him a smile. "Your family." Thomas placed an arm around my waist, pulling me against him. I took my daughter's hand in mine. She looked at me with big eyes and I could swear I saw her smile.

"So here's to the ones who couldn't be here." Vince raised his drink. Minho, Brenda, Frypan and a lot of others joined him. "Here's to the friends we lost." I felt a lump in my throat and I swallowed thickly. "This place is for you, it's for all of us." He pointed his knife to the tall rock behind him. "But this..." he said. "This is for them. So in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace." 

"And welcome to the Safe Haven!" Vince exclaimed. The crowd around us broke out into cheers and applause. I let out a joyous cheer and applauded. Thomas joined me but was a bit less excited. 

His eyes found mine as he must've felt my gaze on him. "Are you okay?" I asked softly. 

He swallowed. "I'll be fine." I placed my hand on his cheek and he leaned into my touch before I leaned in, softly kissing his lips. 

"I love you," I whispered. "Don't forget that." 

Thomas smiled with nothing but adoration in his eyes. "Guess what?" 

"What?" 

"I love you too," he said. I smiled and embraced my little family, Aly soundly asleep in the lap of the person I never thought I could love this much. 

It was Thomas and I and no one was ever going to split us apart ever again.