TWENTY-SEVEN

L E A H ' S   P O V 

After many hours of agonising contractions, long pushes and excruciating pain, I did it. I brought my baby into this world. Initially, I had fought the people who ripped Thomas away from me but I knew he had to be taken care of. The bullet had to be removed and the damage needed to be mended or else, he'd die. 

I was lying in bed, my back pressed against the wall behind me while I traced my finger down my daughter's nose. Her eyes were shut and she let out soft breaths as she was peacefully asleep. A smile was permanently plastered on my face as I held my bundle of innocence and joy close to my chest.

My attention was drawn to the person pushing aside the canvas that was the door of this hut. It was Minho. "Hey," he greeted me quietly to not wake my daughter. 

"Hey." I smiled and he sat down on the edge of the bed. 

"How is she?" He leaned forward to look at my daughter. 

I grinned. "Amazing." 

I sat up and swung my legs over the edge of my bed. I pushed myself up but winced at the stinging pain in my abdomen. "You okay?" Minho asked. 

I nodded, blinking away the tears that pooled my eyes from the pain. "Yeah, I'm fine. I discovered that it really hurts to push a tiny human being out of my body," I explained with a chuckle. I walked up to the crib Vince had built especially for her and placed the small child down in the soft sheets. I pressed a featherlight kiss to her forehead. She was vast asleep and wouldn't need anything for the next hour or so. 

"I'm going to check on Thomas," I said softly and Minho nodded. 

"Yeah, I'll keep an eye on her," he responded. 

"Thanks, Minho," I warmly smiled before I exited the hut and squinted at the bright sunlight hitting me in the face. I inhaled deeply, smelling the salty scent of the wide ocean that spread out right next to the Right Arm's new camp, the Safe Haven.

Everyone was working hard to create a proper home. People were building new huts for the addition to the group, some were farming food and others took care of the animals. I had an exemption from having to do any work as I was still recovering from giving birth to my daughter. 

Minho had been taking care of me and my daughter so he was also off duty from having to do anything, but Gally, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, and all the others were working their butts off to get this place to be home. 

I slowly walked through the camp, greeting a few people here and there but for the most part, I was enjoying the fresh air and the warmth of the sun. 

I closed my eyes for a second and listened to the chatter of people around me. I heard the sounds the seagulls exclaimed and the soft waves of the sea. I felt the heat of the sun and the long grass brushing my ankles.

My eyes opened again and I froze in place as my eyes met Thomas'. He stood in front of the hut where he had been recovering, but as he looked at me with a smile, I didn't hesitate to break out in a sprint and launch myself in his arms as soon as I reached him. My body hurt and stung, but I didn't care. I was so happy that he was okay and all I cared about was the person in my arms. 

I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist as he hugged me bone-crushingly tight. I let out a joyous laugh and didn't even try to wipe the tears from my face. "You're okay," I breathed, my voice cracking. 

He chuckled, never loosening his tight grip on me. "Of course I am." 

I pulled back slightly and took the sides of his face, pressing my lips to his. I smiled happily and felt him do the exact same. "I love you so much," I whispered. 

"I love you too, Leah. So much," he responded. I reluctantly let go of the hug and Thomas placed me back on the floor, his hands dropping to my hips. As his gaze fell on my slightly more flat stomach, his eyes grew. "Wh-What happened? Where's the baby?" he stammered, fear flashing through his eyes. 

A large smile broke through on my face. "We have a daughter, Thomas."  

He was left speechless for a second before he muttered out a soft, "A daughter?" 

A tear slipped from my eye and I nodded happily. I took his hand in mine and intertwined our fingers. "Would you like to meet her?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer he was going to give me. 

He laughed. "Would I like to meet my child? Of course!" 

I took him back to the hut to find our little girl soundly asleep in her cradle, right where I left her. I noticed Minho had left, probably because he had heard us approach. I placed my hands under her armpits, supporting her head, and took her in my arms. She gently woke up and looked at me with big eyes. "Hi, there," I cooed before turning to Thomas. "Look who it is." 

Thomas stepped closer and I softly laid our daughter in his arms. I placed his hands in the right positions before I stood next to him, leaning my chin on his shoulder while I stared at the small human right before us. I wrapped my arms around his waist. 

"Have you named her already?" Thomas whispered. 

I shook my head. "No, I didn't want to without you," I mumbled. "But I was thinking... Aly? You know, after Alby," I suggested carefully. 

Thomas turned his head to me. "I love it," he said. I smiled and leaned in, pressing my lips to his. I pulled back seconds later, resting my head on his shoulder again. Aly started letting out soft cries and I was quick to take her from Thomas' arms as I noticed him tensing up. 

"I think she's hungry," I said, taking her to the bed. I sat down against the wall and Thomas sat down beside me. 

After I fed my daughter, I suggested that Thomas burped her. She instantly fell asleep on his chest and I smiled, curling up and laying my head on his chest. I traced lines on Aly's arm and listened to Thomas' heartbeat. After mere minutes, the fatigue kicking in made it impossible for me to stay awake any longer. 

***

"I'll hold you and protect you, with my entire being." My consciousness slowly came back at the sound of a voice. I didn't open my eyes as I realized who the voice belonged to. It was Thomas. And he was singing. "How can a heart have grown so big for such a little thing?" My heart melted as the realizations hit me that he was singing to Aly. 

"It's been the longest day and one I won't forget. The day that we first met," he sang quietly and pressed a soft kiss to Aly's forehead. 

"I didn't know you could sing," I mumbled softly. Thomas jolted lightly. 

"Hey, how are you feeling?" he asked, aiming his attention at me. 

"Better," I muttered with a smile. A comfortable silence fell between the three of us. "How long was I asleep?" 

"Not that long. Aly is still asleep," he answered, adjusting his daughter's position in his arms. 

It had only been a day since we saw the last of Wicked. It had only been a day since Gally came back into my life. It had only been a day since I lost Newt. He was gone and he was never coming back. I lost my brother and he never even got to meet Aly. He would've loved her. 

"Can you sing some more?" I asked softly. Thomas chuckled softly and pressed a kiss to my head. I cuddled into him. 

"The faintest glow, the lights alow. Your mother is asleep." A smile formed on my face as I listened to his soothing voice. "My world is in this room. My world is just us three. There's no other place that I would rather be."