FOUR

Day 42

I can't take this anymore. I had to endure losing my baby in my head and it's killing me on the inside. 

I figured out how they're doing this. They're putting something in my food that will knock me out, then they take me away, perform the experiment and they bring me back to my room straight after. If I could, I'd stop eating the food they gave me but I can't. I have a baby growing inside of me and it's my job to keep them safe and healthy.

They've started experimenting on Kasey as well. She told me that she saw her friends die, the Maze was on fire, killing everything on its path and she was the only one who survived. She had to rebuild the entire Glade on her own because no one else came up in the Box.

I have weekly checkups with doctor Crawford, that's the only thing I'm looking forward to. Being able to hear the baby's heartbeat is the only thing that calms me down anymore.

I put away my journal as the door opened and Kasey was placed on her bed by two medics. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was steady. I grabbed a towel and wetted it at the sink before dabbing her sweaty forehead. 

I waited until she woke up again and while I did that, I hummed a soft song. Minutes passed by and after a while, Kasey shot up in her bed and with rapid breaths. 

"I had a brother!" she choked, breathing hysterically. 

"Kase, breathe, you're okay." I grabbed her shoulder and laid her back down. 

She calmed down. "I had a brother," she repeated, calmer this time. 

"Okay, you saw him in the experiment, remember that. It may not be real," I carefully said. 

Kasey started shaking her head. "No, it was real. I remember him." 

I nodded softly. "Okay, I believe you. Do you remember his name?" Kasey nodded. 

I shouldn't have asked that because her answer turned my stomach. 

"Gally." 

My eyes grew the size of saucers and I stumbled backwards. "G-Gally?" I repeated, making sure I heard her right. 

"Yeah, do you know that name?" Kasey frowned. 

I nodded. "He was in the Maze with me. He was one of my friends." I smiled at the memory. "But..." My voice wore off, not knowing how to tell her that her brother was dead. 

"But what?" Kasey asked, a big smile on her face that I knew her brother. 

I looked at her with a sad look in my eyes. I sat down across from her on the bed, grabbing her hands in mine. "He's dead, Kase," I softly said. Her eyes dropped and she nodded softly, her smile fading away. "I'm so sorry." 

"What was he like?" she asked.

I smiled softly. "He was really funny, he could make me laugh even at my worst times. He was also a really great builder, he could make anything you asked him." That brought the smile back to her face. "You would've loved him," I said sadly. I couldn't tell her what his last action had been. Killing Chuck. Even though he hadn't been able to do anything about it because he had been stung, it still hurt. I couldn't let that be the story Kasey remembered him by.

Our attention was drawn to the door as a loud knock was heard. A Wicked guard entered. "Grab your belongings, you're moving." 

I frowned at his words but had no chance to question him as the door was slammed shut again. I looked at Kasey and saw she was as confused as I was. I did what the guard commanded and collected my journal and jacket.

The guard entered again a few minutes later and ordered us to follow him. We walked closely behind him through the long white hallways until we reached a garage where five vans were waiting. 

The guard told us to wait with another group of kids and as Kasey laid her eyes on them, she let out a scream. "Emily? Marissa?" She ran to two other girls and hugged them tightly. I smiled broadly before my attention was drawn to a tap on my shoulder. 

I turned around and was met with Minho standing in front of me. "Minho," I breathed happily and hugged him tightly. "Do you have any clue about what is happening?" I asked after I pulled back. Minho shook his head. 

"No one is telling me anything, as per shucking usual," he grumbled.

"Leah, come meet my friends!" Kasey called and waved me over. I pulled Minho with me. "Okay, meet Emily and Marissa, they were in the Maze with me," Kasey said as she held her arms around her friends' shoulders. 

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Leah, this is Minho," I said, shaking their hands and Minho followed my lead. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, listen up," Janson's voice shouted over the mass of people. Just the sound of his voice sent shivers down my back. "We're going to be moving you all to a new facility," he said and I turned to Minho with a worried look in my eyes. 

"They'll never find us if we're moved," I told him. 

"Shuck," Minho cursed. 

"Please enter a van." Janson clapped his hands. 

A guard came up to us and started ushering us to the van, but Minho stood still. "What if I refuse?" he challengingly said. The guard straightened his back. 

"I won't ask again. Get in the van," he said monotonously. 

Minho stood tall and crossed his arms. "No." 

The guard grabbed his gun and didn't hesitate to whack Minho on the head with the butt of his gun. Minho crashed to the floor. "Minho!" I exclaimed, dropping myself next to him to help him sit up. 

"Get in the van," the guard spat and I nodded quickly, helping Minho off the floor. I heaved his arm around my neck and dragged him to one of the vans. 

"You're an idiot," I hissed at Minho. 

He chuckled. "I know." 

I took him into one of the vans and sat him down next to me before inspecting his head. He had a big gash in his hairline and a small line of blood was trickling down his temple. I grabbed the sleeve of my jacket and gently dabbed the blood from his forehead. 

Kasey sat down next to me and Marissa and Emily sat down on the seats in front of us. While my roommate was caught up in talking to her friends, I leaned toward Minho's ear. "You'll never guess who Kasey's brother is," I whispered. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Gally." 

Minho's eyes widened to the size of saucers as he stared at me. "You're kidding," he stated.

"Unfortunately not," I said solemnly. "She remembers him, Minho."

He let out a sigh. "Did you tell her that he's dead?" he asked softly. I nodded. "Good."