TWENTY-SIX

"I think I found him!" Jorge exclaimed and Leah's head shot up. She ignored the numbing pain in her abdomen as she rose to her feet, stumbling as she made her way to the front of the Berg.

She held on to Jorge's seat and her eyes widened when she spotted Thomas and Teresa on top of the Wicked building. She had been right, Thomas went back to take revenge for killing Newt. 

Both of them were on the ground, Teresa holding onto Thomas for dear life. She instantly noticed that her boyfriend was clutching his side. "Something is wrong," Leah muttered. "We have to get closer!"

"I'll get the hatch," Brenda called and she whipped around. Jorge used his full concentration to turn the Berg around so they could get to Thomas and Teresa. 

Teresa saw what they were planning to do and she got to her feet, heaving Thomas off the ground. "They're here! Come on!" she exclaimed. Thomas collected any strength he had left in his body to limp with her to the other side of the roof. But he wasn't strong enough. Teresa lost grip and he crashed to the floor again. 

Vince attached himself to the Berg with a wire as the hatch slid open. Minho made sure Leah didn't get too close even though she wanted to. She knew that something was seriously wrong as she watched Thomas sink to the ground, his eyes half-closed. 

"I can't get any closer!" Jorge exclaimed. 

Teresa got Thomas up again and they stumbled forward. The Berg levitated a few feet away from the building, not able to get any closer without putting everyone inside in danger. Several alarms started to go off as the Berg detected the building.

Teresa had managed to carry Thomas to the edge, but they couldn't get on the Berg as the distance was still too big. Vince dropped himself on his stomach on the hatch, holding out his hand to the pair but he barely came close. 

"Thomas!" Leah shouted, gaining his attention. His eyes widened slightly as their gazes locked. Her frightened eyes got him the strength to stumble to the edge of the building. All he had to do was reach out his arm and take Vince's hand. He stretched his arm to its full length and his fingers grazed Vince's, but the distance was what broke them apart again. "No!" Leah exclaimed as Thomas nearly toppled over the edge.

"We gotta get closer!" Gally shouted at Jorge and the man did his best to get the Berg as close to the building as possible while still keeping everyone inside safe. 

The group inside had to duck as a bomb was launched into the building towering next to the Wicked facility. Pieces of debris crashed into the depths and it wouldn't be long until the tower was going to collapse. 

Teresa knew they didn't have much time left and she collected Thomas off the floor, heaving his arm around her neck. She pushed with all of her might and Thomas leapt forward, using whatever power he had left in his legs to jump. His stomach hit the edge of the hatch and Vince reached for the back of his shirt. Minho grabbed his arm and heaved him on the hatch further so he wouldn't be dangling over the edge anymore. 

Leah dropped herself on her knees next to him. "Teresa, you have to jump!" she shouted. Teresa may have destroyed Leah's life seven months ago but by saving Thomas, she had proven herself worthy of a second chance. 

Vince reached out his hand again and Minho joined him soon after. "C'mon, jump!" Vince exclaimed. Their attention was drawn to a loud explosion behind them. The tower standing next to the Wicked building had been hit again and came thundering down. 

It crashed into the roof Teresa was standing on and the entire building shook. "Teresa!" Thomas exclaimed. Teresa didn't seem to be fazed by it and within a second, the building collapsed. Teresa's body disappeared with the falling rubble and fell to a place where she'd never be found again. 

Tears instantly pricked Leah's eyes as she heard Thomas let out a tormented, "No!"

Her eyes didn't leave the crumbling debris as if she was expecting Teresa to come back. 

The Berg was forced to fly away from the burning inferno. 

Thomas was on his side, his eyes didn't turn away from the building. Leah looked down and saw her hand was stained with blood. The next second, she noticed the pool of blood on her boyfriend's shirt. 

"He's bleeding, what's happening?" she started to ramble. Brenda and Vince turned Thomas on his back and Leah lifted his shirt to reveal a deep, bleeding bullet wound. Leah's breath hitched in her throat. Minho pushed her hands away from the wound and put pressure on it to stop the bloodstream. 

Leah's hands flew up to Thomas's head and cupped his face, staining it with blood. "Thomas, baby, stay with me, c'mon," she said with a quivering voice. "Just keep your eyes open, you're gonna be okay." He reached out and took her hand in his. 

His eyes found hers and he smiled softly before his whiskey-brown eyes were hidden by his closing eyelids. "No, no, no, don't you dare," she rambled but knew it was of no use. His grip on her hand loosened but she refused to let go.

She started shaking his face with the other hand. "Thomas, open your eyes. You're not dying. Do you hear me? You are not dying." Tears leaked from her eyes and her bottom lip started to quiver.

"He's lost a lot of blood," she heard Minho say but the words barely reached her brain. She swallowed thickly and let out a groan as a contraction passed. She had almost forgotten that she was in labour due to the events of just a few minutes ago. 

Vince hooked his arms under Thomas's armpits and dragged him away from the hatch so they could close it. Leah refused to let go of Thomas's bloody hand but the contractions forced her to sit against the wall of the Berg. Brenda stuffed a jacket under Thomas' head while Minho and Vince took care of the wound. The bleeding needed to be stopped or else he'd bleed to death.

Gally's eye fell on the appearance of the broken girl and he stepped up to her. "Come with me," he ordered and she shook her head. 

"I'm not leaving him," she said, not even bothering to stop the tears from flowing down her face. 

"Leah-"

"Forget it, Gally, I'm not leaving him," she cut him off. She was sick of losing sight of Thomas because every time she did, she'd get separated from him.

When he got locked up in the Maze for the first time, when she left him in Jorge and Brenda's building back in the Scorch, when they had got into that fight back at the Right Arm and she had walked away from him, and when it had been mere seconds after Newt's death and Thomas had left to find Ava Paige.

"You have to take care of yourself. You're in labour, Leah," Gally pleaded. She let out a frustrated sigh and a tear slipped down her cheek as she raised Thomas's hand to her mouth and pressed a kiss to it. 

"Every time we've left each other's side, something bad happened. God, I should've gone with him. This is all my fault." Her voice trembled and Gally had trouble understanding her properly, but he heard her last sentence without difficulties. 

"Hey, hey, listen to me." He grabbed her face in his hands. "This is not your fault. It was Wicked all along," he told her sternly. 

She let out a choking sob. "Just..." Gally saw her shivering body. "Don't leave me too." 

Gally shook his head. "Never." He sat down beside her and pulled her shaking body in his arms and she nestled her head under his chin. "I'm never leaving you again."