NINE

L E A H ' S   P O V 

I glared up at the man who destroyed my life. Janson. 

"We're searching the area, but they're probably long gone by now," one of the guards told him. 

He looked down at me with an evil smirk. "Oh, no. They're not going anywhere." He squatted down in front of me. My hands were tied on my back and for my own safety, I bit my tongue until I tasted blood to prevent me from saying anything that might get me into trouble. "He didn't get what he really wanted." He patted my stomach and I flinched away. 

"Don't touch her!" Minho seethed, earning a glare from Janson. He got up from the floor and turned around. "Alright, load 'em up, lads," he told the guards and we were pushed into a chopper that took off as soon as the door closed. 

"They were so close, Minho. I heard him," I muttered, a tear slipping down my cheek. 

Minho sighed. "I know." 

The chopper quickly reached its destination, the Last City. We landed on top of a tall building and we were taken out instantly. I found Teresa standing next to the entrance. "You," I seethed, stepping up to her. A guard wanted to chase after me but Teresa held up her hand to stop him.

"Leah, good to see you're okay," Teresa said, unfazed by my behaviour. 

"Cut the crap. He was there. Thomas was there. I heard him but you know what? I couldn't get to him because I was strapped to that stupid chair," I spat. 

She straightened her back. "I'm sorry about that." 

"No, you're not." I laughed humorlessly. "Because if you were, you would let me go," I sneered before walking back to Minho again. 

We were ushered into the building and taken to a separate room. Four small rooms had narrow bunk beds and Minho, Kasey, me, and five others were pushed into it. The door was locked instantly. 

I sat down on one of the bottom bunks and Minho sat down on the one across from me. Kasey sat next to me, placing a hand on my back. "He was so close, Kase," I choked, clasping my hand over my mouth. 

"Oh, Leah." She pulled me into her arms, rubbing my back. I exhaled deeply and pulled back from the hug. I wiped away the tears and shook my head. 

"Sorry, I guess I should be used to the constant let downs, you lost your friends again. You just got them back," I sighed. 

"It's fine. I know they're safe, that's all that matters," she said. "Look, I don't know Thomas personally but from the stories you've told, I'm sure he'll take good care of them," Kasey smiled softly. "And besides, I'll see them again when we get out of this hellhole because I'm sure Thomas won't stop looking for you now that he got so close. Did you forget that it's his kid as well?" She poked my stomach with her index finger, bringing a smile to my face. 

"Yeah, you're probably right," I said, tightening Newt's wristband. 

 "No, I am right." Kasey confidently grinned. 

"I hate to break your bubble but from what I've heard, we're in the most secure facility yet. They'll have to come up with a damn good plan to get us out," Minho butted in, crossing his arms. 

I sighed. "Yes, I'm aware of that. But you've known Newt and Thomas for as long as I have and you know they won't give up until they've got us back. We're Gladers, remember? We take care of each other." 

Behind us, the door was unlocked and opened. "A7, come with me," the guard barked.

Minho exhaled slowly and I sent him a sympathetic smile, knowing what was coming. He exited the room and the door was instantly shut and locked. 

I sat down on my bed again, pulling my jacket closer around me. I placed a hand on my stomach and closed my eyes for a second, resting my head against the wall behind me. I focussed on the small kicks that I felt under my palm. 

Day 178

They didn't get us. We're not saved. They got the wrong train. Kasey, Minho, and I were in the other one. They got Aris, Sonya, Marissa, and Emily, though. At least they're safe. 

I can't stop thinking about how Thomas must feel. He nearly got us back, but he picked the wrong train. I heard him shouting and I'm sure he heard me, but he got the wrong one anyway.

I have to keep telling myself every second of the day that I need to stay hopeful and have faith that they'll eventually save us. But it took them over six months to get this close and it won't be much longer until the baby is born. I'm afraid they won't be in time. 

Even though I wanted to wait until I got back with Thomas, I've started thinking about baby names. I have no specific name yet but I know that I want to name my baby after someone who was dear to me and is no longer with me, like Alby or Chuck. 

I can't stop thinking about the fact that Kasey is Gally's sister. She remembers him but I doubt that he would have if he was still alive. I've never heard him talk about his past life, mostly because he didn't want to remember it. He was content with the life he had in the Glade, that's why he didn't want to leave. 

I think a lot of my past life, how I survived when I was just fourteen years old after my mother died. How I had to spend all of this time with strangers, all alone, hell-bent on finding Wicked so I could take revenge on the sickness that killed my mother. It at least explains my instinct to survive. 

I heard the other kids in our room talking about how this place is supposed to be our final destination. They either find a cure in here or it's the end. I don't know why but this scares the hell out of me. What will they do if they can't find a cure? Will they let us go or- 

No, I can't think like that.