Chapter 10

I manage to survive the rest of the day without any questions asked about mine and Ryan's encounter. I did however cop plenty of looks, whispers and laughs, but I'm not one to get too sensitive with that stuff, there's not much I can do to stop it anyway so may as well try not to let it stress me out.
I get in my car and message Dylan before driving home.

Soph- hey Dylan, really need to talk, want to come over asap?

I get home, shaking at the thought of what I have to tell my boyfriend.
"Hey soph what'd you wanna talk about?" Dylan says walking through my front door.
"Let's talk upstairs okay?"
"Alright.. you're scaring me, everything okay?"
I can't think of words to say so I just stay quiet.
We walk into my room and he takes a seat on my bed while I stay standing. Dylan examines my facial expression and then looks down at the ground.
"It's Ryan isn't it?" He sighs.
"I'm so sorry dyl" I start to cry.
"Soph I could see it even before we started dating. At your mums dinner, I thought I was just overthinking things but now it makes sense. The way you look at him isn't the same way you look at me. I love everything about you and I want to be with you but I can't when I know you're happier with someone else. You need to stop being so selfless, think about what you want, not what is expected of you for once"
he wipes a tear from my cheek. "I care about you so fucking much soph and as crazy as all of this is, I'll always be here for you. It'll be hard for a while and i will need time away from you but I don't know what I'd do without you in my life, whether it's as friends or more, I don't want to lose you"
"You don't deserve this" I sob, "dyl you're perfect. You deserve the world" Dylan holds my cheek softly with one hand, "and so do you. I should go, good luck" he stands up off my bed and kisses me on the forehead one last time, before turning away and leaving my room.

I sit on my bed, more tears start to form and run down my face before I roll over on my side and hug my knees to my chest.

Hours later I decide to go for a walk to clear my head but end up at the last place I thought I'd be.

"Hey" i force a fake smile and walk through Ryan's door. "I spoke to Dylan"
"Yeah?" Ryan says, "what about?"
"You" I say, taking a seat on the kitchen stool.
Ryan stood on the other side of the bench and rested his elbows on the surface.
"He knows about us and how I feel about you. He was so understanding, he's way too nice which makes it so much harder, but he broke things off"
"Oh sophie I'm so sorry"
"I'm not... I love Dylan but not like I love you. Dylan noticed how happy I was around you"
Ryan smiled when I said those three words, I love you. It felt good to finally say it, I feel like a massive weight has lifted off my chest. And I know that the school will not allow it and that the rumours will continue, but right now it's just me and Ryan and I feel like nothing else matters.
"Is he okay? He's such a good guy soph"
"I know, and no he's not, but he will be, I know we'll eventually be close friends again. I've never felt so close with someone, other than you"
Ryan walks around the bench and stands in front of the stool I'm sitting on. I slowly stand up, our faces are just millimeters apart.
"I hate that I've put you through all this mess, I'm so sorry soph" he whispers, his mouth almost touching mine.
I move my arms up over his shoulder and move my hands through the back of his hair as our lips collide. "I love you soph" Ryan breathes and I smile against his lips. "I love you too". He pulls away and looks into my eyes "And we're gonna sort this out, it'll be hard but I wanna be with you" Ryan says tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.
I smile "I wanna be with you too"
"I should probably get going, Mum will be wondering where I am" I say, kissing Ryan before leaving his house.